Author Topic: Moving a service to a new machine  (Read 3264 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Moving a service to a new machine
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:47:31 pm »
If I wanted to install pluto but I also wanted my asterisk system to run on a seperate system how that be done? I am considering having MythTV, Asterisk on thier own seperate systems and have pluto in the middle of them so to speak. That way the load of Myth won't interfear with Asterisk and vice versa.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:42:23 pm »
Theoretically, it is possible to run Asterisk on a machine in the Pluto installation other than the Pluto Core, but if you just want to prevent media and Asterisk from fighting one another over resources, you can install a Pluto Core (i.e. not a Hybrid; a plain Core without media capabilities of its own) and add diskless Media Directors that will handle your media.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
That is what I did.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »
That is what I did. However I thought:

1) The media was still being stored on the core.
2) My goal is to have all capture cards on the server and then diskless media directors pulling the data over the network to the TVs.

So the front ends are as dumb as you can get. Front ends would have TV out and GB network interface. Perhaps optical audio but that is it.

Heck I would even prefer not to have front ends at all. If possible I would rather have 4 Hauppauge PVR 350s in the core and since the Coax in my house all runs to the server room I could literally plug every TV in the house into the core.

Is that possible? Like a virtual MD? Obviously the MD is kind of a central point for a room. So if you have 6 MD then you can see the 6 various rooms on an orbiter and control them separately. The MD / backend design gives Pluto some of the cool features like follow me with the Bluetooth dongle. However If someone has a nice house and has a nice LCD mounted to their wall they probably don’t want stereo and TV components cluttering their nice display.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 06:41:32 pm »
The installation cd just sets up 1 media station per pc.  if you wanted to do something like that you'd have to get under the hood and do some technical stuff to figure out how to make it work.