Author Topic: Its installed, but having some issues HDMI audio & KWORLD DVB-T not working  (Read 6923 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Right, so i am having a moment of stupidity or i missed a stage during my install.  How do i get into the webadmin page from within MCE?  I have tried going computing / webadmin but nothing seems to happen?  Do i need to drop to kde and enter it from there?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:18:05 pm by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ok its installed but how do i get into web admin?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:37:59 pm »
Is it possible firefox isnt integrated with mce on my install as none of the computing/weblinks seem to work and if i drop to kde firefox isnt installed. For some reason since installing mce kde desktop is now much larger than my tv and is virtually unusable as you can only get access to the center of the desktop.

Edit:  I have downloaded firefox manually and have transfered the files to a usb stick.  Where is MCE expecting firefox to be installed?  Unless there is a better way i am planning on just copying the firefox folder i have downloaded across to the mce location and see how that goes..

Having "poked" about a bit i have the following questions issues post mce install;

ALSA (HDMI) sound no longer works.  Amarok can no longer play cd's etc from within kde.
KDE desktop no longer fits my tv screen.  Somehow MCE has resized it, but according to KDE desktop settings the resolution is correct.
I have read the threads on overscan but there seems to be some confusing information.  I do not think it is overscan on my tv via HDMI as before installing MCE KDE desktop was displayed correctly via HDMI with no overscan.  Post running the AVwizard I now get lots of overscan when i drop to KDE desktop.  Has anyone had any success with the modeline adjustments? I am confused how i can specify one modeline for KDE and one for MCE

EDIT::: http://www.arachnoid.com/modelines/   
Seems to be a user friendly modeline calculator.  If i dont hear STOP calls im going to paste the following in tomorrow and see if it helps at all!
# 1368x768 @ 60 Hz
Modeline "1368x768_60.00" 92.16 1368 1440 1592 1864 768 769 772 824 -HSync +Vsync
# 1920x1080 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 69.42 kHz; pclk: 185.49 MHz
Modeline "1920x1080_60.00" 185.49 1920 2048 2264 2672 1080 1081 1084 1157 -HSync +Vsync

Firefox wasnt installed as part of the MCE install.  (none of the shortcuts in computing work, i have downloaded firefox but need to know where mce is expecting it)

MCE seems to have "confused" my network settings within KDE (and itself!).  I used itspacs addition to mce-install.sh to allow my wifi as an external card and the NIC for the internal network. The wifi connection was working before MCE was installed (WPA key etc), but since the install if i drop to KDE btoh the Wifi card and NIC appear as "unmanaged".  Within Network settings in MCE the IP addresses against the wifi and NIC seem "strange".  My wifi router was the DHCP controller (external link from MCE) and the IP address against the wifi is not within the IP list available to the router.  (Is it the case that i configure the wifi connection within webadmin?).

Sorry for the long list of issues, but having spent 2/3days getting this far  I really want to push on and get a working system setup! 

Thanks to all those that have helped this far... hopefully i am on the home straight!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:59:24 pm by geekyhawkes »

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »
firefox should have been installed, did you encounter any problems during the install process or do something differently than the instructions said? if you do need to install it, use apt-get.
Also, you can get to the admin page from any machine connected to the internal net by using http://192.168.80.1/

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:51 pm »
I didnt get any errors that I noticed, but I am wondering if it was missed due to the network issues mentioned above.  Is there a way i can get to KDE without MCE starting?  If i drop to a KDE desktop from within MCE both my wired and wireless network cards come up as "unmanaged" so apt-get wont work.   

Are there any suggestions as to my best way forward to fix these issues?  Is it a one at a time approach or a complete re-install of Kubuntu/MCE (please no!)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:19:38 pm by geekyhawkes »

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Ok its installed but how do i get into web admin / other issues
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:44 am »
I dont know, youre so far off the path from a supported configuration now that I dont think I can help you. firefox should have been installed with kde, if it wasnt then something was wrong all the way back to the kde install. but assuming you have a .deb file you can use 'dpkg -i <filename>' to install it. of course it will probably have dependancies that arent installed...
you would make your life *alot* easier if you werent using a wifi card as external net. Its fine and all to try to get unsupported configurations working, but you should use and become familiar with a supported configuration first.
If for whatever reason you really do need to use wifi for external net, do as I do and run a dd-wrt compatible router in client mode so that you have something to plug a network cable into.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:21 am »
Hi,

If you are running 810 Alpha2 (as stated in your other posts) and you want to get to KDE you go thru the LinuxMCE menu bar and select KDE Desktop.

You then select either Konqueor or Firefor by selecting the KDE start icon at the lower right. edit - my other right (lower left).

To get to Firefox you select multimedia (if I remeber correctly).

If you can't get there from here (KDE Desktop from the LinuxMCE menu bar) you've got a bad install.

Konquerer and Firefox are 2 choices from the K desktop environment.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:47:16 pm by pigdog »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:09:09 am »
I installed Kubuntu 810 32bit from an iso downloaded directly from the ubuntu respos.  I didnt think Firefox was packaged with Kubuntu as KDE users tend to prefer Konqueor?   

I can get to the KDE desktop, its just overscanned massively (trying to solve that with modelines now). 

****I have  just edited my Xorg.conf but the AVwizard ran at start up and has removed everything i setup!  How have you guys managed to setup a custom modeline without the avwizard running next time you reboot?****

I have tried pluging my "internal" cat5 cable into the back of my router but the MCE box still doesnt seem to be going out on the internet (i am guessing this is as it sees that NIC as its internal card so doesnt even bother). 

Sound wise i had another look at asound.conf and it appears the mce install re-wrote my original one with something not very useful.  TO that end i have just re-edited my asound.conf to try and get audio over HDMI.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:51:47 am by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:06:30 am »
Right getting somewhere, slowly;

Added firefox as per this guide here;

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/09/manually-installing-the-latest-firefox-in-kubuntu-a-cleaner-installation/

It now runs and if i point it to 192.168.80.1 i get the web admin up! 
EDIT:  Is there a way i can stop mce changing my asound.conf file at reboot?  Everytime it is changing my file and that is making isolating hdmi audio issues a nightmare! 
I have found in the wiki how to stop MCE adjusting the video settings (here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers) but have had no luck finding similar for sound.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:16:49 pm by geekyhawkes »

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi,

With 810 Kubuntu or 810 Ubuntu,  Firefox is provided on the desktop.

In Kubuntu, LMCE menu bar>  KDE Desktop> KDE Start icon (application launch icon)> Applications> Internet>

There are three choices at this point ... Lynx, Firefox, Konqueror Web Browser.

In Ubuntu GDM, Firefox is a shortcut in the task bar by default.

Otherwise its Applications> Internet> Firefox Web Browser.

Only Firefox is provided by default.

If your Kubuntu i386 Desktop install did not match the three choices provided above you didn't download the Desktop variant or you have a bad install.

I would be worried what else wasn't downloaded if you had a bad install or wrong variant.

Maybe that's why you are having the other problems.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks, well i am going to press on with install for a bit if nothing else as a learning experience.  The overscan issue I can live with for now, i just need to find a way to force MCE to not alter my asound.conf so i can try and move HDMI audio forward. 

I have my second harddrive up and running, mce was getting confused with my USB key, as soon as i said dont add the usb key it skipped shopwing me the hard drive as a device to add.  Getting there i think, still having problems keeping my asound.conf.  I have found lots of sound settings within mce (in web admin page) so am hopeful that somehow i will get my HDMI working for audio. 

I have also managed to get my slingbox connected which was fairly painless, just the wifi issue and sound really to go

EDIT:  Im having problems getting my kworld USB stick working.  I realise i sound totally stuipid but this is my first install of MCE and if nothing else this thread might end up useful to point other newbies to once i get a system up and running.  I have installed the .deb mentioned in the WIKI and restarted (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Kworld_KW-DVB-T_399U). 

Following the VDR setup guide all goes well until i type cd /home
sudo scan -o vdr -p -u /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace > channels.conf

when i get an error saying dvb0 is not in /dev.  How do i go forward from here?  I have already tried reinstalling the .deb in the wiki and restarting the mce machine twice with no change to the outcome.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:48:42 pm by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
And final snag for today before i walk away for a bit to come back to it fresh;

DVD playback is giving me some issues.  I have a SATA dvd drive that I reflashed to be RPC1.  The drive is working fine within both KDE and MCE (although strangely MCE has identified 2 DVD drives when i only have one, although the eject/play controls both effect my one drive). 

When i put a UK DVD (region 2) into the drive i get nothing after the drive has spun up although KDE is reading the volume label fine.  I try and play and MCE wont play the disc.  If i play a region 1 dvd into the drive then the same happens on all but about 2 of my DVDs that just stop after the initial 15sec introduction telling you its a federal offence etc..

I triedsudo /usr/pluto/bin/dvd_region -d /dev/dvd1 as per the wiki but get the following back
Open No such file or directory (which i take to be refering to /dev/dvd1 as there is no directory there).

I i repeat the above with /dev/dvd i get

do_region get: Input/output error

Where am i going wrong?  Help!

The 3 issues I would really like to get on to off are

1) The DVD playback issue described above
2) HDMI audio not working and MCE keeps changing my asound.conf (might be the reason might not).
3)Kworld TV tuner not working as described above.

If i can get the above 3 things working then I will this install has been reasonably successful if a bit laboured (mostly from my part and learning as i go).

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi,

Did you install libdvdcss and w32codecs?

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Yes i have installed the libdvdcss and w32codecs, im wondering if its a region issue or if im missing something else?  

Could it be an RPC 1 issue?  Having searched else where regionset seems a way forward for tomorrow:

http://ww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=830137&highlight=rpc1+dvd

There are also lots of "hits" on google about initalising a "new" drive in linux to a region before it will let you play dvds.  Seems odd, but as ever i will report back.

Any ideas why i am getting the error when i run sudo /usr/pluto/bin/dvd_region -d /dev/dvd1     ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:44:20 pm by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Some success!  I reflashed my dvd drive to the offical RPC2 firmware, reinstalled the restricted extras pack (just in case) and  and the dvds now play!  One issue down!  regionset as mentioned in the ubuntu forums above is pretty useful for whats going on with your drive so i would recommend it is included in any future releases of MCE. 

Just need to get sound working via HDMI now as I have kind of ground to a halt there, and get my DVB-T working! 

DVB-T wise i went back to the start today.  Reinstalled the v4l2-modules-2.6.22-14-generic_0+20090324-2_i386.deb and restarted the machine.  Connected the USB stick and dropped to KDE.  Stopped VDR, found my local transmitter and tried to generate a channels.conf but get the following error:

scanning /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/uk-Waltham
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
main:2247: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' : 2 No such file or directory

I have read through the wiki several times and from what i can see i am following it correctly.  Can someone help please?

Having looked at linuxtvwiki it seems that the demux 0 error is related to the drivers not being installed correctly.  There wiki steers you down the route of compiling your own drivers / kernal patches but i dont really want to do that as i dont know enough about MCE yet.  No where near enough to recompile kernal additions! 

If i run lsmod then i get the following (relevant) returns:

dvb_ttpci               106824    0
dvb_core                86016  1 dvb_ttpci
saa7146_VV            54916    1 dvb_ttpci
saa7146                  24968   2 dvb_ttpci,saa7146_vv
videobuf_dma_sg      20612     1 saa7146_vv
videobuf_core          26628     2 saa7146_vv,videobuf_dma_sg
videodev                41344      1 saa7146_vv
v4l1_compat           22404      2 saa7146_vv,videodev
ttpci_eeprom          10240      1  dvb_ttpic

The above list seems sensible to me and should be everything needed, however there are no suitable dvb r video directories created in /dev

ls -l /dev/dvb/
ls -l /dev/video/

Return No such file or directory warnings.

I know a few people have brought the Kworld stick, is there any experience as to how i can get it working?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:53:38 pm by geekyhawkes »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
EDIT:  Im having problems getting my kworld USB stick working.  I realise i sound totally stuipid but this is my first install of MCE and if nothing else this thread might end up useful to point other newbies to once i get a system up and running.  I have installed the .deb mentioned in the WIKI and restarted (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Kworld_KW-DVB-T_399U). 

Following the VDR setup guide all goes well until i type cd /home
sudo scan -o vdr -p -u /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace > channels.conf

when i get an error saying dvb0 is not in /dev.  How do i go forward from here?  I have already tried reinstalling the .deb in the wiki and restarting the mce machine twice with no change to the outcome.

You are running a 32bit system?

Do you have the following firmware file installed;

/lib/firmware/2.6.22-14-generic/dvb-usb-af9015.fw

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:26:10 pm by totallymaxed »
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk