Author Topic: LCARSMCE?  (Read 3183 times)

Kaiser

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
LCARSMCE?
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:33 pm »
For those of you familiar with startrek, you know undoubtly what LCARS stand for ;)

For those who dont:
Library Computer Access/Retrieval System,

in a way it is much of what MCE can do i think..
LCARS consists of a single core computer (more so a database) that allows for sharing all its data throughout a network of consoles and other interfaces.
I believe someone is working on an LCARS like theme, and so i am curious as to the capability's of videocommunications between the different MD's?

Is it possible to have a wall mounted touch-screen with a build in camera (one can easily build such with a self made casing) and communicate with someone using a portable MD in the livingroom, using realtime video/audio?

sort of like msn.. only then with MCE??

i discovered that voice recognition isnt yet a big thing,
i would love ordering my computer to play strauss 2th symphonia (or better, all my Celine Dion cd's :D )
will it be a feature in comming builds?

i hope i dont ask questions that have been answered allready,
ive been reading these forums and the wiki a lot the past 2 days, i think i have an information overload or something ;)

All in all, i am verry eager to build myself a plan to construct foresaid LCARS system using MCE :D

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: LCARSMCE?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:16:21 pm »
There *was* someone working on a lcars theme. havent heard anything about it in quite some time now.
The various components of the system are probably capable of video intercom, but it isnt currently possible. I also dont think anyone is working on it or has plans to work on it. LMCE needs capable coders to work on adding stuff like this though, so if you want it bad enough you could get your hands dirty and contribute!

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:39:12 pm »
There *was* someone working on a lcars theme.

I am still here... I am still working on it but I had to take a time out. I ended up getting let go from my place of employment. Though you would think that would lend me more time to work on LCARS it really hasn't since most of my designing I did from my work on my downtime.

I know there are quite a few finishing touches to be made on it. I have passed on everything I have done thus far but I have not heard if anyone else has been working on it. Hopefully I can find some time to make some more progress.

If anyone would like what I have so far just let me know and I can find a way to get it to you. Would have to transfer via ftp.
Core: Broken :(

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:15:23 am »
That is great news! I thought it was abandoned.
Not so good on the job though, i've been unemployed since november as well so i understand.

Kaiser

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:00:24 pm »
ahh yes the LCARS theme :)
i have it bookmarked, it sure looks like a great starterpoint when my multimediaserver arrives!

i'm gonna try and learn C#, is is compatible?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:43:27 pm »
C# doesnt have much use outside of the windows world. its all c++ right now.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »
didnt see a link to it posted.

http://tridentoffice.com/files/cat_view/42-development-files

there you go. been away from the forums and linuxmce in general for a bit. kind of a bummer but i gotta eat :)

cheers,
-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.