Author Topic: LinuxMCE 8.10 alpha 2.22 installation issues  (Read 10657 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE 8.10 alpha 2.22 installation issues
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:23 pm »
Alright, well I was finally able to get an 810 CD install to work.  Every CD that I burned even at my slowest speed possible (10x) would have the same issue.  I was getting the following error:

Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block (can't remember block number)

So I checked the CD for errors on my Windows XP laptop.  Which was still getting the error, but continued anyway, eventually the test finished and the CD was fine.  So I went and tried it on my already installed 810 HTPC.  No matter what route I took, I always got that error, which would dump me to the initramfs.  I also tried passing the all_generic_ide parameter to the installer, as I have read this fixes the issue.  Needless to say, this did not fix the issue.

How I resolved the issue:
From the main installation menu I selected "Install Kubuntu" and once the Kubuntu loading screen appeared, I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.  This dumped me to the console and I was able to see what was going on.  In this mode the error happened a number of times, but continued on to load KDE.  After KDE was loaded I was able to successfully install Kubuntu, and eventually was able to install LinuxMCE.

I had a hunch that the way I had installed 810 may have been the cause of the problem and I guess that it was.  Thanks for all of the support, everything seems to be working well so far...


  • Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3675
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: LinuxMCE 8.10 alpha 2.22 installation issues
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:40 am »
A small note regarding installation of Kubuntu 810 Desktop: I always use a USB stick for my installs. My main workstation has Ubuntu on it, and Ubuntu has a nice little utility under System/Administration to create a USB startup disk.

That way, I did not have a problem installing Kubuntu and LinuxMCE 810 on an Asus B202.

I try to limit my use of optical disks these days.


  • Making baby steps
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE 8.10 alpha 2.22 installation issues
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:28 pm »
Okay, I had the issue of the gray or black screen coming up and then the system complained that there was a transparency issue and it seemed like my computer hardware was not capable of running UI2 properly and so I looked at all of the forums but wasn't able to fix the problem.  I finally did find an answer to my issue as it turns out.  The problem was that the system would install the latest version of the nvidia driver which is 180 and that did not want to work with my system. 

I am using the ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard with onboard Nvidia 8300 graphics.

To fix my problem I used EnvyNG.  I started my system in recovery mode and got to the command prompt. 

At the command prompt I typed:

apt-get install enyng-qt

I then started up KDE using KDE START.

In KDE I went to my start menu/applications/system/EnyNG.

After entering my root password I got into EnvyNG which shows the different drivers that I can use and recommends the best one.  For the Nvidia drivers, it gave me the choice of 180.11-Oubuntu1~intrepid1 (the latest), 177.82-Oubuntu0.1 (slightly older), 173.14.12-1-Oubuntu5.1 (even older) and a few others.  For my system it recommends 177 but I used it and I also used 180 and both of them gave me the gray or black screens.  I had to use the 173 driver and my UI2 worked.  EnvyNG automatically uninstalls the wrong driver, installs the right driver, and then configures KDE's resolution to be optimum for my system. 

At this point reboot and then go through the AVWizard again and your system should be up and running.

I hope this helps!!  I hope this is the right thread to place this in.