Author Topic: I am getting _VERY_ tired of having my posts deleted.  (Read 6986 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
I am getting _VERY_ tired of having my posts deleted.
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:58 am »
Okay mods.

We did put you in charge to keep things civil.

But this is RIDICULOUS!

If you're going to have issue with something, redact it, but don't delete the whole post as if it never happened. I'm to the point where I'm ready to tell all of you to go SHOVE IT.

Between the users who refuse to listen to what the people who actually know what they're doing...
between the users who almost have a clue give information which is NOT correct...
between the people who refuse to help us add support for new devices...

I've just about _HAD IT_.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: I am getting _VERY_ tired of having my posts deleted.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:35:31 am »
Thom - as I mentioned in IRC, there wouldn't have been much left of the post. And I was just about to PM you and ask you to post again without the specific phase you used. I really do not want to get into modifying actual posts as I feel that is far more rude. I am a moderator not a modifier.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
thom, bro, try to not be that rude to users and don't tell them they are idiots too often :-)

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »
Yeah Thom, don't call the users idiots to much, it's to insulting for the real idiots who like deleting stuff from this forum every chance they get. :P
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:13:57 pm »
I'd suspect that ppl who are smart enough to work on the lmce codebase should be able to express themselves without insults.

br, Hari

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:38:28 pm »
I'd suspect that ppl who are smart enough to work on the lmce codebase should be able to express themselves without insults.

br, Hari

Just like I'd expect people in charge of a forum to be able to express themselves without having to delete other people's posts they don't approve of.  Issues don't get resolved by using a delete button, QED.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:39 pm »
Good to see this thread is staying on topic :) This real idiot is happy to agree to changes to the charter rules, or move aside if that is felt best.

(btw, for the record this was the first time I've deleted any post, and with the intent of asking the poster to post again rather than modify myself, wish I hadn't now!)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:03 pm »

@Tschak909
I sense great anger and frustration, so I will accept that you talk in such a stern matter and put that in perspective.
To reply to you remarks concering "Between the users who refuse to listen to what the people who actually know what they're doing..."
This can be a communication problem, and with every communication problem it is from both sides.

Well as an outsider, I can give you my 2 cents (eurocents).

I can remember my X10 chat with somebody in IRC, where I was advised/ordered to get Zwave.
My "but" was put down in a harsh manner, but ok I accept I am the new guy........but I do not want Zwave for my own reasons, I kicked a little
but then I hushed, but I am still stubborn, so getting PLCbus now :P.
It is all about communication and I sense this is a different league of communication, because a lot of hardcore coders make and break the project here.
That is ok..........but there are also consumer idiots like me....
In normal companies it works like this:
Inventors/Developers -> Marketing -> Consumer
or
Consumer -> Marketing -> Inventors/Developers
You know why these steps excist........because they all speak a different language......
e.g. Philips (great ideas, bad marketing)

I think you can see also LinuxMCE like this, I am a consumer, I have nothing to really add, except user experience, tedious comments and stupid questions, but they should be respected.
Also deleting posts is always bad, because you take away a voice, people tend to get angry then, it is better to explain in a nice open manner why they should try a different approach.
I hope this little view of life is read with less emotion and a Dutch beer in the hand.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:05:19 pm »

@Tschak909
I sense great anger and frustration, so I will accept that you talk in such a stern matter and put that in perspective.
To reply to you remarks concering "Between the users who refuse to listen to what the people who actually know what they're doing..."
This can be a communication problem, and with every communication problem it is from both sides.

I can remember my X10 chat with somebody in IRC, where I was advised/ordered to get Zwave.
My "but" was put down in a harsh manner, but ok I accept I am the new guy........but I do not want Zwave for my own reasons, I kicked a little
It is all about communication and I sense this is a different league of communication, because a lot of hardcore coders make and break the project here.
or
You know why these steps excist........because they all speak a different language......

I think you can see also LinuxMCE like this, I am a consumer, I have nothing to really add, except user experience, tedious comments and stupid questions, but they should be respected.
Also deleting posts is always bad, because you take away a voice, people tend to get angry then, it is better to explain in a nice open manner why they should try a different approach.
I hope this little view of life is read with less emotion and a Dutch beer in the hand.

I agree with what you say above 100% and I have an inferior British beer in my hand ;-)

No one should feel that they can't post here for fear of ridicule or otherwise. As Colin says above he regrets the action of deleting the post and next time would i am sure not do so. I agree that deleting posts should not be accepted as the the 'norm'...its one of the 'slipery slopes' to censorship that I for one would not like to see happen here. Postings here should not be deleted unless the material is offensive, in which case the thread should have a warning 'label', but be left in place for anyone who cares to read.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:49 pm »
I agree with what you say above 100% and I have an inferior British beer in my hand ;-)

As a UK citizen who works in Amsterdam, I take great offence to this statement. How can you possably compare Amstel Beer to the vastly superior Hobgoblin?  :P

(Posted with tounge firmly in cheek in the hope of demonstaring that some people will take offence to anything! <VBG> )
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

nue2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:23:36 am »

@Tschak909

or

No one should feel that they can't post here for fear of ridicule or otherwise. As Colin says above he regrets the action of deleting the post and next time would i am sure not do so. I agree that deleting posts should not be accepted as the the 'norm'...its one of the 'slipery slopes' to censorship that I for one would not like to see happen here. Postings here should not be deleted unless the material is offensive, in which case the thread should have a warning 'label', but be left in place for anyone who cares to read.

All the best

Andrew

I agree, i'm mean wow...just searching the forum and seeing a lot of replies to posts makes u want to try every other source like another linux, ubuntu, yahoo answers, even windows forum just to avoid a war lol.  No disrespect intended and i am gratefull for the hard work the devs put in, but certain ppl need to chill out and realize that they have a skill that not everybody has attained as yet.  I mean i'm in a professional field where most ppl are clueless to too, but i know i have to be humble because my strengths are a lot of ppl's weaknesses and vice versa. Thus i'm not going to call them an idiot for not being knowledgeable in my field of expertise. I would be the ignorant idiot for doing that. Collin, in my opinion you did the right thing. perhaps deleting the entire piece may have been extreme, but it was warranted, due the ridiculous reply. But what reeeeaalllyyy gets me pissed off is not mentioning Guinness when referring to superior beers. there is no excuse for that!!! any further negligence should be reprimanded and the posts should be deleted lol  ;D

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:47:22 am »

@Tschak909

or

All the best

Andrew

I agree, i'm mean wow...just searching the forum and seeing a lot of replies to posts makes u want to try every other source like another linux, ubuntu, yahoo answers, even windows forum just to avoid a war lol.  No disrespect intended and i am gratefull for the hard work the devs put in, but certain ppl need to chill out and realize that they have a skill that not everybody has attained as yet.  I mean i'm in a professional field where most ppl are clueless to too, but i know i have to be humble because my strengths are a lot of ppl's weaknesses and vice versa. Thus i'm not going to call them an idiot for not being knowledgeable in my field of expertise. I would be the ignorant idiot for doing that. Collin, in my opinion you did the right thing. perhaps deleting the entire piece may have been extreme, but it was warranted, due the ridiculous reply. But what reeeeaalllyyy gets me pissed off is not mentioning Guinness when referring to superior beers. there is no excuse for that!!! any further negligence should be reprimanded and the posts should be deleted lol  ;D

Hmmmm.... have to agree all the way with that too...especially the part about Guiness ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:09 am »
Hi All of you,

I do agree with this tread specially that i got replies that felt like a hammer on top of my head.

I know most of you devs have great skills, i've seen a lot of videos but here there's nothing about geekness here, were all trying to get lmce further by eighter trying or developing which means getting further.

Looking at the forums i felt in the first place that asking few things make me feel like a moron and i'm not just talking for myself.

So let put things forward and always remember that new comers shall be welcomed.

I love guiness and i always live it on the side till i've finished making around with lmce.

Were all here because we've got tight to this project somehow.

All the best

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:51:38 am »
"I agree, i'm mean wow...just searching the forum and seeing a lot of replies to posts makes u want to try every other source like another linux, ubuntu, yahoo answers, even windows forum just to avoid a war lol."

"Looking at the forums i felt in the first place that asking few things make me feel like a moron and i'm not just talking for myself."

We try to improve that area with the new mods :-) Nobody should fear to ask questions here..
We have much bigger goals than stupid insults and flamewars.

br, Hari

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:53 am »

I can really relate to this. If I have a problem, and I can't find the answer in these forums, the ubuntu forums, the wiki, google, then I post here..... that's what these forums are here for right? And most of the time I DREAD doing it, as chances are I will be made to feel silly.

Obviously it hasn't caused me that much mental anguish, as I keep posting here, but still, I can imagaine that a lot of people would be turned off LMCE because of this. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here that know how to treat people with respect, and have been very helpful, but unfortunately there are one or two that ruin it with rudeness.

To the rude ones: the world does not revolve around Linux and LMCE - as a professional in MY field, I would never make anybody feel small or inadequate for not knowing as much as I do. That would be sad.

1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps