Author Topic: Will Linux MCE be too complicated for me?  (Read 4443 times)

homeyjay

• View Profile
Will Linux MCE be too complicated for me?
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:02:58 am »
After having grown tired of the Windows Media Centre battle, I was toying around with trying the Lixux MCE but I just want to use it on one PC, in one room for just playing media (pix, music, movies, home videos). I have a HTPC with a Windows MCE remote control. I dont want to control anything else or automate anything.
The PC has a Intel 915 chipset / P4 / 1GB ram / Addon Tech wireless USB stick (with no Linux drivers).
Am I going to have a lot of problems getting Linux MCE to run? Id like to use it but if it's going to give me a headache, I'd rather stick with the headache I'm familiar with! (Win MCE).

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Will Linux MCE be too complicated for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:42 am »
I should just try it! If you are only going to use LMCE as a single machine, no MDs, automation, telephony, etc then you will loose a large swag of the benefit of going with LMCE. Even just multiple MDs make it worthwhile to have distributed media playback around the house. But on its own.... you will loose a number of things you are used to in Windows MCE, and gain a number of new things... its subjective as to whether it is worth it in such a limited environment, which is why I suggest you try it. You might want to try the 0810 alpha as you are likely to have less issues with drivers on newer mobos.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:12:52 am »
Hello, and welcome.

If all you're looking for is a simple media center, there are many others to try.

This is a smart home platform, the first of its kind, managing media, lighting, climate, telecom, and security for an entire house under one system.

I would suggest reading the FAQ in the wiki:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

Now, to try and address your hardware:

* your Intel 915 will work in the Basic (UI1) and Masked (UI2 medium) modes. To use the full alpha blended interface, you will need at least an NVIDIA 6200 card.

* Your MCE transciever and remote will work. However, I recommend replacing it with a USB UIRT, a much better transciever with IR learning capability, very useful for controlling your A/V gear. http://www.usbuirt.com/

* Please use supported network hardware. Do not argue wtih me. Get two NIC cards, even if you only use one, connect the first NIC card to your internet modem, the second to your internal network's switch. Your LinuxMCE system will become the center of your network.

* For tuner cards, use a PVR-150/250/500/USB2 for SD, or an HDHomeRun for HD.

You should install LinuxMCE 0810 Alpha 2, according to these instructions:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

Follow these rules, and you'll have a painless, and seamless installation.

-Thom

homeyjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:11:56 am »
Thanks guys!
I really dont have anything else to connect to! I have just one PC (the HTPC) and a laptop that I use for work (I cant mess with it!) so I don't have lots of stuff that I can connect to. All I really want is some way of listening to music and watching media etc.
I'm not sure what an "MD" is or what an "NIC" card is. I'm sorry about being so ignorant about this - I'm pretty new to anything Linux!.

If this is going to be too much for such a simple task, can you suggest anything else that will be simple and will just work - ie, I dont want to have to mess with it because I wont know what I'm doing!!

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:34:25 am »
I'm not sure what an "MD" is or what an "NIC" card is. I'm sorry about being so ignorant about this - I'm pretty new to anything Linux!.
MD - media director
NIC - network interface card

If you're interested in trying LINUX HTPC, then try Mythbuntu, good Ubuntu support, pretty stable, some nice features, but thats it... No possible home automation etc...

If you're used to Win****, Linux newbie, plan only one station, and do not want to learn, test, stay behind the computer few nights to get in touch with Linux, then, stay with WIN MCE.
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »
I agree, Mythtv is perfect for you, and  Mythbuntu will make your life easier.

Linuxmce have a ton of feature you are not interest.

Best regard.
Martino.

homeyjay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:56:30 pm »
Thank you so much guys!
I'll go and check out MythTV & Mythbuntu. I've heard of these but I just assumed they were for watching TV - something I dont need with this PC!

Thanks again!

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »
If you dont need TV then mythtv is not what you want. its really good at tv, but incredibly bad at everything else.
XBMC seems like it would be the best fit for your needs, and it runs on windows which sounds like would be alot easier for you.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
Agreed, if you don't need TV, go with XBMC for Linux

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 01:07:01 pm »
But with MythTV you have the possibility to add a tv card in the future. Onestly i don't see why not.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:16:48 pm »
But with MythTV you have the possibility to add a tv card in the future. Onestly i don't see why not.

Because XBMC is a vastly superior media player. So if TV is not an absolute requirement, its a no-brainer.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:45:11 pm »
yeah, have you ever used mythtv for anything other than watching tv? its method of finding media to play makes my brain hurt...

homeyjay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:54 am »
Thanks guys!
I installed XBMC with the MediaStream skin and I was totally blown away. It's totally awesome!
I think I'll stick with this one - it seems to be stable and full of good features, not to mention that it's sooo sexy too!!