OK, as the title says I'm trying to get my usb to RS232 adapter to control my Denon AVR-2807.
Here's what I know:
1) Purchased (2) usb to serial adapters from our favorite famous four letter market place (will provide details for anyone curious which ones I bought, $6.48 for 2 units shipped to US)
2) Connected Denon unit to core via cable
LMCE didn't seem to recognize that the cable had been connected and the receiver was not found when going through the Setup Wizard.
That said, played around with lsusb and found that linux was discovering that the cable was being connected. Following that, I played with the ruby codes and surprisingly typing in the code: "/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort -p /dev/ttyUSB2 -P N81 -b 9600 -t "MVUP\r"" caused the receiver's volume to increase.
1) Receiver is controllable (check)
2) usb to serial cable is compatible with LMCE (check)
Here's where I'm stuck. As described here: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Serial_Hack
my usb to serial device is being listed as a pci0000 something and not /dev/ttyUSB2. After applying the hack, no devices are listed in the drop down menu, so I saved the backup file on top of the ListSerialPorts.sh which gave me the list of available port. When I try the only pci device not used (have one used by zwave and one used by usbuirt) it doesn't send a signal to the receiver.
So I went to this:
I Just want to give an update on my status with Insteon setup, the 7.10 with direct serial port to the hybrid worked without any problem first try, my LinuxMCE 810 Alpha 2.21 with USB2Serial adapter, now is working, with the following modifications:
1) changing default value of "#37 COM port on PC" to "/dev/ttyUSB0"
2) select "pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0+5" from the drop down list of the device data COM Port on PC
3) Created 88_InsteonPLM.sh (for Plug n Play) per Wiki instructions
I attached the data exchanged between LinuxMCE with PLM module if someone interested.
from here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7054.15
I think if I could get past step 1 of ccousdi's post then everything would work.
Retyping the questions:
1) How/where do I do step 1 above?
2) How do I test if it is working- if I select TV from the menu should the receiver change to input TV? This doesn't seem to make sense as that the core has the tv tuners and I am really only going to want LMCE to change the volume on the receiver, turn it off and change the speakers that the audio is output to.
BTW, my house has the patio directly outside of the family room. So I want to get a set of wireless speakers and change the media scenario in LMCE which causes the receiver to output to the wireless speakers and the speakers in the family room. I'm hoping that any lag between the transmitter and receiver in the speakers is negligible and there will appear to be no sync issues.
Any suggestions or posts that I missed in the forums that talks about doing this?