Author Topic: Between a rock and a hard place  (Read 11488 times)

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: Between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »
...one was rescued from the scrap heap at work...

This reminds me... In my area every other month or so, they do electronic recycling drives at one of the local schools. I have heard from friends of going to these and pilfering some parts. I might have to head on over next time and see if I can grab anything. Worth a shot and odds are its 710 compatible.

Worst they can say is no and its only a few blocks away for me, might also be an option for you to try.

It is a good idea to ask the IS department at your employer if they are throwing away old machines, I asked and now whenever they have something they offer it to me - my wife has a 'one old computer from work only' rule though.  I have made one into a media director and hidden it in a closet.  out of sight out of mind - may be time to bring home another.

I also know that the local recycling centre has a pile of old PC's.  I was there a few years ago and 'rescued' a cpu fan for use as cooling in my Paintball mask - worked great until you get shot in the intake vent - then you get sprayed with paint bigtime in the face by the fan.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 09:34:39 am »
It is a good idea to ask the IS department at your employer if they are throwing away old machines, I asked and now whenever they have something they offer it to me - my wife has a 'one old computer from work only' rule though.  I have made one into a media director and hidden it in a closet.  out of sight out of mind - may be time to bring home another.

I also know that the local recycling centre has a pile of old PC's.  I was there a few years ago and 'rescued' a cpu fan for use as cooling in my Paintball mask - worked great until you get shot in the intake vent - then you get sprayed with paint bigtime in the face by the fan.
ROFL
All good ideas, although the local recycling centre isn't an option - here in the UK the local authorities are so paranoid about being sued if they sell something that turns out to be faulty, that they have now stopped all sales from recycling cntres. (Yeah, I know, how can you recycle if you can't reuse?)

I did manage to rescue a few machines from work (AND I don't have to hide them from the boss!  :P ) but I havn't worked out the chipsets etc yet.

I think I'm gonna take the hint and jump in. 8.10 wins the day at the moment, although if it proves too problematic, I'll drop back to 7.10. Linux itself doesn't frighten me, but I'm not used to the Debian derivatives (apt-get methodology) and am used to having to think the solution myself (I've seen the various posts saying "stop trying to think about it! ;) )One question, I have a HDD with a load of files (mostly docs not media) that I want to transfer. If I put this in, will MCE trash it? Mount it and give me access? Allow me to mount it so I can copy the files and then reformat it ready for MCE management? (Obviously, #3 is my hoped for answer!)

Anyway, I'll try not to get sprayed in the face with anything (paint or otherwise) while I do this :D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:01 pm »
Ok,

First dumb-ass question  ::)

There appear to be two versions of Kubuntu 8.10 on the mirror (as I'm in Europe, I'm downloading from the German mirror listed in the Wiki)

Do I need kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso or kubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso, or doesn't it matter?

Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 07:11:09 pm »
Do I need kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso or kubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso, or doesn't it matter?

The desktop version.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:34 pm »
I think I'm gonna take the hint and jump in. 8.10 wins the day at the moment, although if it proves too problematic, I'll drop back to 7.10. Linux itself doesn't frighten me, but I'm not used to the Debian derivatives (apt-get methodology) and am used to having to think the solution myself (I've seen the various posts saying "stop trying to think about it!  )One question, I have a HDD with a load of files (mostly docs not media) that I want to transfer. If I put this in, will MCE trash it? Mount it and give me access? Allow me to mount it so I can copy the files and then reformat it ready for MCE management? (Obviously, #3 is my hoped for answer!)

At least in 710, you could (and I am not saying this is the best way to do it) connect up the drive, wait until it is detected (sometimes can take a while).  make the drive public I don't think it matters if you say use or do not use the LMCE directory system.  wait for it to add the drive and it will prompt to reload.  reload and then in the KDE desktop open a Dolphin file manager window and navigate to the drive.  select the stuff you want and move it to /home/public/data/ then either Audio, Video or Documents.  check it moves over then reformat the drive and delete the device from webadmin. reload and wait for LMCE to find it again.  This time say you want to use LMCE structure.  follow prompts, and Roberts your Mothers Brother (you did say you were from the UK, right?)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:09 pm »
Thanks, Posde!

Techstyle, again, thanks! Good advice. Will this not also happen with 810?
Paul

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:11 am »
One question, I have a HDD with a load of files (mostly docs not media) that I want to transfer. If I put this in, will MCE trash it? Mount it and give me access? Allow me to mount it so I can copy the files and then reformat it ready for MCE management? (Obviously, #3 is my hoped for answer!)

There is no need to reformat the HDD. What happens, when you select use "LinuxMCE Structure" is, you will receive a directory structure on your HDD that follows LinuxMCE's directory structure, i.e. video/audio etc.

After that, you can go ahead and move the files on the HDD to the correct subdirs. No need for copying stuff back and forth.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:23 am »
There is no need to reformat the HDD. What happens, when you select use "LinuxMCE Structure" is, you will receive a directory structure on your HDD that follows LinuxMCE's directory structure, i.e. video/audio etc.

After that, you can go ahead and move the files on the HDD to the correct subdirs. No need for copying stuff back and forth.
Cool, so the MCE stuff is built alongside what's there. Moving files on the same HDD is quick as it's only actually moving pointers. Just one thing, where will I find the drive mounted once MCE detects it? I need to go there to move the files.......
Paul

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »
No need to go to the actual mount points, all media drives/folders are symlinked into /home/public/data/<device name> etc, you can easily find all your media devices (local and remote) in that folder, by name. Just pop into the KDE desktop if you find that easier, and move them there.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 04:54:07 pm »
Thanks, Colin!

Yeah, I'm not bothered if it's a "real" mountpoint or a link - just as long as I can find it :) (Actually, I'm a CLI junkie, so that's where I'll be doing my copying :D)

Just finished putting my old (tired) motherboard into it's new (to me) case. A new (to me) HDD and it boots. So tomorrow, its on to the install of Kubuntu (exciting!) THEN it's be dumb-ass questions from hell, I guess.
Paul