Author Topic: [SOLVED]810 b2 install - no menu items?  (Read 6143 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]810 b2 install - no menu items?
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:18 pm »
background:  I followed the 810 b2 wiki install instructions and installed from DVD, including MD setup.

problem:  The linuxmce menu comes up, but basically no entries.  On my UI1 MD I see the icons on the left side of the screen, the computing/sleeping menu/power/etc. menus across the bottom, and one blank button next to the media icon which does nothing.  No video/audio/tv/etc. buttons.  

The core/hybrid with ui2 is similar in that for the "lights" "media" and "climate" menus the only option is floorplan.  

On the core/hybrid using a MS Remote I can press "live tv" and it brings up Mythtv, or the "recorded tv" button which brings up all my movies.  I vaguely remember you can hide various menu options, but for the life of me I cannot find it.  This may not be an install problem per se, but it seems to be the way 810 b2 installed for me and I don't know how to resolve it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:10:53 pm by skeptic »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: 810 b2 install - no menu items?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:19 am »
Quick update - the issue appears to be LinuxMCE is not autogenerating scenarios.  I'm not really sure where to look but I hesitate to start down the path of manually creating them.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:23 am »
Did you get all the way through the Setup Wizard on your initial install?  The scenarios are first defined and created at the end of the Media Player portion of the Setup Wizard.  Try running the Media Player Setup in the Setup Wizard and see if it creates the scenarios.

J.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:18 am »
Yes, I did get all the way through setup on both my core/md hybrid and a vmware media director.  I wasn't watching the initial install though, just checked on it once in a while and did the next step when I noticed it was ready.  I just re-ran the Media Player Setup from the Setup Wizard on my core/md hybrid.  Sara (that's the girl's name right?) claimed to have setup several scenarios, but it's still the same.  Floorplan is the only button for lights/media/climate.

I'm not sure what logs to even look at for errors.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED]810 b2 install - no menu items?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:15:06 pm »
solved by a reinstall with HDHomeRun, PVR-150, and external USB drives off/removed (no pop-ups interrupting the setup wizards).  Also did not do apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade between kubuntu and linuxmce installs.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:19:03 pm »
Did you happen to check the web admin to see if the autogenerated scenarios existed?  Wizard --> Scenarios --> {each choice}

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »
Yes.  1st install with no menus there were no autogenerated scenarios for anything other than telecom.  After a re-install I have what appears to me to be the standard set of autogenerated ones.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
So it seems that having your devices installed before installation caused the system to skip creating the default scenarios.  Strange.

J.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:13:27 pm »
So it seems that having your devices installed before installation caused the system to skip creating the default scenarios.  Strange.

J.
I can't confirm that.  I did install off the same DVD, no devices installed, AND I skipped the apt-get dist-upgrade step.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »
I believe the apt-get update/dist-upgrade is done by the installer anyways.

J.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »
posde mentioned something like that, but it wasn't clear if he was referring to the dist-upgrade you are supposed to do before installing linuxmce, or the upgrade that you do after.  Either way, it seems to be working so far.  I'm running /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh right now and hopefully I'll be able to add MDs without issue, then myth-setup.

BTW, linuxmce found my PVR-150/HDHomeRun devices (installed after initial setup), but even after going through the media wizard, adding them, doing the schedules direct line-up stuff, MythTV doesn't have any TV Inputs defined.  I've seen it mentioned in other threads so I believe once I run myth-setup manually I'll be good to go. 

jamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »
Could be related to this problem with UpdateEntArea?

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9331.0
LinuxMCE 810b2 + SiliconDust HDHomeRun
MD: BIOSTAR TF7050-M2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV
Core: VMware Server 2.0.0