Author Topic: Content visible to certain users only  (Read 1914 times)

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Content visible to certain users only
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:44:44 am »
Okay, been doing some searches within the forum and with Google and perhaps I can not state in four words or less what I am asking.

I have content on two HD's in my hybrid and it is mixed on both between our (parents) content and kids content.

Is there a way to identify each video, for example, and attach it to a user? I have three users, one for me, one for my wife and one for my kids. Can I define kids content from parent content so I don't have to wade through the other depending on what I am looking for? Or, is it just easier to split the content by physical media and attach the media to the user. Obviously, less preferable.

Perhaps I have missed something in the admin site, guess that's why I am asking.

Thx

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Content visible to certain users only
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:29:32 am »
There is the main "Public" folder structure - all files within which are visible to everyone. Then there are users that you set up, each has its own folder in the same parent as Public, called User_1, User_2 etc. Files in these are only available to the selected user at the time (at the bottom of the orbiter), and these generally need a PIN entered to access them.

However, you should be aware that there are a few bugs in the current 0710 build. First, in Filename sort mode, you only see Public media not users' media. Second, when you use the search function, you still see all the media irrespective of whose folder it is in and which user you are logged in as at the time. These can make the use of the function a little difficult (or pointless if you are either using it for security or if you haven't tagged all your media).

I know at one point someone said they had fixed those bugs, but it was a while ago and I don't know whether they are still apparent in the 0810 Alphas (consequently I cannot log tickets for them) perhaps someone else can comment on that point?