Author Topic: What size system partition?  (Read 2125 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
What size system partition?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:02:44 pm »
I am just about to finish building my first hybrid and was wondering what size should i make the system partition for MCE?  I have a spare 250gb sata drive but it seems a bit of a waste to just have this as a system drive, im guessing i could get away with a much smaller drive, but what sort of size is about right?  Im looking for a fairly standard hybrid setup with all my music on a NAS and a 1TB drive for DVD rips.

Thanks.

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
Re: What size system partition?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:56:18 pm »
If you are planning on using 710 (latest stable release), please note that MythTV recordings need to be stored on the system drive.
Other than that, it also depends on how many MDs you use, as the Core will have a complete image for each one.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: What size system partition?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »
There is no reason so split it up really. The system will use all attached drives for storage, including the system drive. For my particular setup, I have 2 extra drives for movies and music, and let LMCE use the system drive (also a 250 gig drive) for tv shows. This works out well when it comes to reinstall time since theres nothing on the system drive that i want to keep.