I'm not sure about your question but...
... on 7.10 if you installed with CD's you where asked about the network.
... on 710 with DVD it installed automatically.
... on 810 it installs automatically.
So if you have a core/hybrid with 2 NICs eth0 will connect to the external dsl modem/router/internet. Eth1 will be the internal LinuxMCE DHCP 192.168.80.1 network.
If you want to change this after installation you can make changes using webadmin on the Network page.
Hope this is what you were asking about.
I'm not sure how you install a fresh copy if Kubuntu 8.10 ( not lmce 7.10 or 8.10 ) but I have to install the distro with one nic card. I'm not that good to be able to install Kubuntu 8.10 with the lmce network setup using 2 nic's. If you could be more specific on your setup during the installation using the following:
1. Install Kubuntu 0810 Desktop i386
2. Install all the latest update and upgrades (incl. kernel packages), when prompted after the reboot.
3. Reboot and open a terminal session
4. Become root (sudo -i)
5. Download the latest new installer (wget http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/new-installer-alpha-latest.tar.gz
6. Unpack the new-installer (tar xf new-installer-alpha-latest.tar.gz)
7. Change into the new-installer dir (cd new-installer)
9. ./mce-install.sh (can take a few hours!)
11. Reboot - follow the instructions on screen.
12. If you get a fully black screen (without cursor), look up the wiki on black screen, your monitor is probably not connected to your VGA port)
From my testing last night I used the 1 nic for steps 1 - 10 and reconfigured to the 2 nic setup before step 11. If I'm wrong. please advise.