This will probably be a long post. sorry
I've been reading forums (here and elsewhere), studying hardware, comparing websites and devices, etc... for 2 months now. TBH, I am feeling completely overwhelmed with information. I am getting confused with all the acronyms and whatnot. I can't seem to find the answers to my particular problems, either because I am not understanding what i am reading, or its mired in a bunch of stuff that is unrelated to what i am looking for. SO, i decided to come to the source of information, to brave the flames, and the RTFAs and what not, in hopes that some kind soul will help me get what i'm looking for.
Here's what I want to do:
- Have a Core Hybrid (CH) in the Living room, connected via GBE to a 3TB File Server which houses all my DVDs, Music, Pictures.
- I want the CH to be a PVR to record my shows (like the HDMusic Channel [padilla?], DiscoveryHD and HistoryHD, and unfortunately Mexican Soap Operas [for the wife])
- I want the CH to control the cable TV and stream all my channels to the other Media Directors (is that the right term?) that will be in the bedrooms (along w/ the movies, and music etc), starting with the Master Bedroom, and possibly working into my Office and the Kids' & Guest bedrooms.
The ultimate goal here is to have the kids bedroom, guest bedroom, and office to not have a TV, but to use their computers for everything, like watching movies, music, doing computer stuff, and watching TV. They have dual 22" WSLCDs, except for my office which is stupidly geeked out. The master bedroom has a 32" HDLCD that will be connected to a media Director for the same stuff.
Here's what i have to work with:
- The house is wired Cat6 w/ GBE Switches/Router so bandwidth is no problem
- I have Comcast Digital Starter package. For those unfamiliar with that, it has 1-99 standard-def channels that come w/ basic cable (like nbc, fox, abc, discovery, univision, history, mtv etc...) plus standard HD channels like FoxHD, CBSHD, CNNHD, HLNHD, HistoryHD, DiscoveryHD, HD Music Channel (whatever that is called) etc... and the music channels (which are the highest channels [like 800's for us]. The music channels are the stuff like Hip-Hop, or Adult Alternative, or Soundscapes, or Jazz.
- The Comcast HD converter cable box (i'll get the type when i get home for lunch)
We DO NOT have premium stuff like HBO or Starz or HD Sports, stuff like the Military Channel (which is a travesty in my opinion, that is the ONLY premium channel i want) or whatever, and never plan on getting them.
My equipment so far is:
- Antec SFF case
- ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Proc
- 4GB RAM
- 40 GB SATA HDD (will be connected to file server in office for saves)
- Blue Ray DVD Player
As far as TV Tuners and PVRs and whatever, i am not sure what i need or in what quantities. I was think about dual tuners, maybe 2 two of them for all the rooms. I just don't know. This is where you guys come in!!
Can someone un-fu@k me and tell me what i need to do?
Thanks in advance,