Author Topic: Tip: Redundant Wifi = WAF  (Read 2981 times)

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Tip: Redundant Wifi = WAF
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:36 pm »
Good Morning

Just a tip for newbs setting things up and/or paranoids who worry that a Core problem will cause loss of internet.

Put a second wireless access point in front of the core (outside of the lmce network).  Then set all the household computers (you know, the one your wife surfs on?) to use this as the backup/2nd choice for internet connection.  Voila.  If your core drops out because you've made some silly change, the rest of the house still has internet.  And you get to test out your lmce network without worry.

Bryce

BTW, for those of you who enjoy Freudian slips, I accidentally typed "Tip: Redundant Wife = WAF" in the Subject line.  Almost posted it that way, too.  I'm thinking that would be a "no".
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tip: Redundant Wifi = WAF
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:13 am »
1 problem I have run into trying this is that say you restart your Core. If the wife is already connected to the LMCE wireless network, it will not try to connect to the secondary network as its connected to teh wireless router, not the core itself. They would have to manually select the second network.

They also will not be able to access all of the network devices such as printers or file servers if they switch to the secondary network.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:29:50 pm »
 :)
I have a similar issue at my house. I have the internet coming into a linksys wireless N router, then from there I use port 1 to the core. This gives the core and all lmce internal network connections the internet. Then from the switch connected to the internal network, I have 2 access points hooked up.

This way, if I am working on the core, all wirelessly connected machnies can just switch networks.

See attached diagram, for a visual explanation.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:34:10 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48:46 pm »
Mine is setup this way for historical reasons, but likely to say this way.  After moving the internal wifi to the basement I don't get a good connection from laptops upstairs.  The "external" wifi is upstairs.