Author Topic: Looking at gear for MCE - Good/Bad?? (EDITED)  (Read 9720 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at gear for MCE - Good/Bad?? (EDITED)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:54:30 am »
I think you should avoid any mention of Class 3 devices. They are not common for the simple reason that their range makes them practically useless except for true PANs, which is not an LMCE use-case. While it is true that many devices can achieve 3m, many will only achieve the specified 1m, especially with local environment considerations, and this renders it useless for us. We don't want to be giving advise that clearly is not going to work for some people. I think the Class 2 devices are the only real option.

PcCowboy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:07:34 am »

Ok that's what I was thinking. So thanks for that clarification.

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 03:59:47 am »
I think you should avoid any mention of Class 3 devices. They are not common for the simple reason that their range makes them practically useless except for true PANs, which is not an LinuxMCE use-case. While it is true that many devices can achieve 3m, many will only achieve the specified 1m, especially with local environment considerations, and this renders it useless for us. We don't want to be giving advise that clearly is not going to work for some people. I think the Class 2 devices are the only real option.

Colin

All that sounds good, except for the part about avoiding mentioning them.  Since they do exist, it wouldn't hurt to say in the Bluetooth wiki what you just said above, so that somebody isn't left wondering.  Do you mind if I quote/paraphrase you?

Bryce
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 04:27:38 am »
that's fine.