Author Topic: Adding HVR 2250  (Read 4448 times)

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Adding HVR 2250
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:28:33 pm »
All,

I'm looking for the correct way to add a new capture card.  I have an HVR 2250 dual tuner capture card.  The driver was just released and I have it working fine on a vanilla mythbuntu install.  I've been told that I need to create a new device template for it to function within LinuxMCE but I'm not sure what the template options need to be.  Is it necessary to write a wrapper for V4L devices?

I tried setting up the card in mythtv directly but when I click on the watch tv button in mce, I get a black screen. 

Thanks for your help,

Chris

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding HVR 2250
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »
To fully support the device in all modes, LMCE needs a card that can output MPEG streams. Is this the case with this card?

-Thom

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:08:53 pm »
It is an ATSC device so the answer has to be yes.  Correct?  It does have mpeg 2/4 encoders.  Is there a program I can use to definitively test it if you can't answer from the info I have already given?

Hauppague product page:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html
Driver page:
http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=17

Chris

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:33 pm »
mplayer /dev/video0

-Thom

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the info Thom.  Assuming that pans out when I try it tonight, what would be the correct procedure?  What would be the procedure otherwise?

Chris

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
mplayer /dev/video0

-Thom

mplayer doesn't like it

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:02 pm »
A mild change from my previous statement.... if I use /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 mplayer just takes it.  If I do the same with VLC, it says that it is loading libdvdcss.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
if this is a dvb card, why don't you use VDR?

-Thom

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:44 pm »
if this is a dvb card, why don't you use VDR?

-Thom

The one and only answer to that is that I have no idea how to use it.  I take it there are advantages to the usage of it?  From what I read, I could see no compelling reason to use VDR.  Is the MCE integration better?  I gave it half of a shot on one install and got nothing out of it.  I figured I would have better luck with myth since I already knew how to use it. 

If I do use VDR, how do I make MCE happy with the unsupported card?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18:52 am »
under 0810, VDR would work much better with your card, as VDR supports these devices out of the box much simpler.

-Thom

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:49:01 pm »
So the real reason I wasn't using VDR is that my card is ATSC which is only supported with a patch to VDR.  Are there plans to offer the patched version?

I went back to mythtv and got it working at the core.  It looks like the issue within myth was the playback profile.  If I use slim or normal, I get playback, otherwise, I get a blank screen.  Of course, I still don't know if there is anything I need to do for MCE or just myth.

Afterward, I enabled diskless MDs and did a PXE boot.  I noticed that the image starts myth-backend.  Also, I am unable to get streamed TV from the core.  Is this normal behavior and/or do I need to modify the image?

Chris