Author Topic: PXE Boot How too  (Read 3215 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PXE Boot How too
« on: June 30, 2006, 02:10:53 pm »
I have been trying to get a generic PC to PXE boot all night. It is an MSI NVidia 1 chipset. It just searches for a server to boot from then gives up and defaults to the HDD as it can not find an serer or image to boot from.

I have been trying to read through the pluto docuemtnation to figure out what the steps are in setuping up the core to serve the PXE boot images. However it is not all in one place and I find myself jumping around.

I see buttons about PXE boot in the MD setup screen and I setup the image. But nothing is working.

can anyone list out a quick what to do to enable PXE boot? Or is there some better documentation out there to help me out. Please help anyone.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PXE BOOT
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:48:49 am »
Make sure MAC is filled in on the Media Director that you added as your diskless boot "Generic PC as MD. When entering MAC address enter in the following format 00:12:24:93:AC:E4 with colons seperating the numbers.
You should a similar number on the pc that is trying to PXE boot, hit pause if needed to see mac address. Just enter your address where it says MAC, Select update and then select "Set Up Diskless Media Directors"  Quick Reload Router"  I like to reboot. Reboot your PXE PC.  Once this done the PXE boot pc should find an image and go through about a ten minute process to set everythying up.

Hope this helps

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 07:20:01 am »
that did the trick. Thank you very much.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PXE Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:55:25 pm »
I am haveing a problem with PXE I have the BIOS setup to PXE but when it does it gives me an error that the media is disconnected. I use the same cable on another comp and it works fine. What are my options to get around this. I know that I can use etherboot but I am have troubles with that to because I don't think it supports my chipset. I have an Averatec 5100series and they stopped supporting it. They have never been nice.

Thanks for any help.

b-ran

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PXE Boot How too
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 04:39:08 pm »
The error you are getting regarding the media being disconnected, is that an error that your bios is giveing becuase it is trying to boot or did it start booting and then give you that error while trying to retreive the boot file?

Do you have dual nics by chance?