Author Topic: I have made the jump, this is what i have ordered..  (Read 16506 times)

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I have made the jump, this is what i have ordered..
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 10:46:51 pm »
Ill be working on security stuff when I get a chance.

Does mce have the correct card listed in the web admin?

What type of security/encryption do you use?

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:55 am »
I use WPA on my network at the moment.   I am just about to add your network.php and will report back if mce finds the card correctly (just fixed the firefox install to get to the web admin and got my second HDD up and running.) 

As far as IP mce recognising the card, if i go to advanced-network settings then the following is displayed;

external=169.254.6.239 dhcp(wlan0)

However this is out of the ip range of my router (which is dhcp) and also the light isnt on on the dongle suggesting something isnt quite right.

Thanks for your help, if i can get wifi working that will please the wife and make the MCE more popular than wires everywhere!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:29:25 am by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 10:40:24 am »
Stuipid question, where do i need to put your networksettings.php?  I cannot find the mce-admin website folder

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 11:20:41 am »
Stuipid question, where do i need to put your networksettings.php?  I cannot find the mce-admin website folder

do a
Code: [Select]
find / -name networkSettings.php and you shall find it.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »
Looking at it, all seems fine within network settings, but where do i need to specify the ESSID etc of the network so MCE knwos which network to connect to wirelessly? 

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 04:29:44 am »
a few thing about setting up wpa without network manager
http://linux.die.net/man/8/wpa_supplicant
http://linux.die.net/man/5/wpa_supplicant.conf

sorry i dont have alot of time to work with this right now.. but if you can write conf file and get yours to work it's a start

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 06:27:12 pm »
Thanks.  I will give this a go and report back how i get on. 

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
ABSOLUTE LEGEND! Works exactly as you would hope and easy as.  Just follow the guide links you posted and all works fine with WPA network!  Fantastic work, thank you so much!

Im just playing witha  bash script to auto run at startup, im thinking the best place is #/.kde/Autostart/wifi

Edit:  /.kde/Autostart/wifi doesnt seem to work as it only appears to be run when you drop to the KDE desktop and not during normal MCE startup. 

Edit: rc.local doesnt seem to like running the background process and strangely my USB wifi dongle is only detected if i unplug and the replug it after the boot up process has occured.  Definatly no major issue, i am happy to unplug / replug and then run the code myself from the kde desktop albeit not the most elegant solution!  (It is definatly 100%better than trailing cables around the house!)

Seems sensible and should give chance for most services to be up and running before the wifi kicks in

(Just got to get my DVB-T and HDMI audio working now lol!)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:31:14 pm by geekyhawkes »

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 12:35:30 am »
Good you have had some success. You should be able to make a network script and have it run when it enables the wireless interface