I am writing something quick in this post, I hope in the short term write something in wiki. My setup is configured in the way that is for reasons coming from history, the others matter of convenience.
1. I always followed the idea of having a firewall as simple as possible and having LMCE as firewall is quite far from that, it is a really a huge set of diffrent parts of pieces of software development, I prefer and I feel more comfortable having a single piece of hardware, running the Linux kernel, iptables and support software and nothing else.
2. Why wireless, you always mentioned the wife factor I am living in a rented home and I in plans to buy a new house, so I was no in the plan to make drill to in the wall to run cables from from where is mi FW to the living room, first I started with a single cable running just over the floor, but usually my wife tripped with the cable, so then wireless was my only choice.
3. I use for MB a Abit AN-M2HD, someone had complains because it show the integrated NIC as eth1 instead of eth0, so this is not bug to me really it is nice feature that uses a lot because I can use the integrated nic, 1GB, to move data from my laptop from and to the LMCE, so it is used as hybrid, currently I have installed LMCE 7.10 I didn't made any attempt to install 8.10 I need to buy a new disk to play a bit without touching my current configuration.
4 How I use the wireless, I said previously I am using a TP-LINK TL-WN651G, because it uses Atheros chip and It can be get in my country, Chip Atheros is recognized as working wireless in Linux since a long time ago, so my election was right I installed the card and it worked at the first try. I have configured using wpa-personal, the next is my networks file, of course the critical info was changed:
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet static
iface ath0 inet dhcp
pre-up /sbin/modprobe ath_pci
wpa-psk the_passphrase_generated_with wpa_passphrase
Even when ath0 is configured in auto it never started automatically, so here it is the "duct tape" I used the next lines in /etc/rc.local
/sbin/ifdown --verbose ath0 >> $RANA 2>&1
/sbin/ifup --verbose ath0 >> $RANA 2>&1
The funny story was that it was not working, so when I have tried to debug the messages coming from the output of the commands it worked and it is working for about 3 months, maybe some kind of the delay I am just guessing.
The good thing about LMCE it is being a huge machine even can be touched in the way I did without breaking it.
I hope these lines show which are the reasons for that kind of setup.