Author Topic: I have made the jump, this is what i have ordered..  (Read 16533 times)

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I have made the jump, this is what i have ordered..
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:42:34 pm »
I honestly don't know where to start at making a patch and haven't had time to research that.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 09:36:29 pm »
I understand duct tape is not the correct long term way forward, but it is capability NOW which is attractive to lots of people I am sure. 

For the guys that have managed this setup like gasve and itspac is there any chance you could write something up here as to how you managed to get the wireless setup? 

Thanks.

As an aside, i am still having issues finding the sharp tv rs232 protocol to modify.  The wiki link appears to be deleted on the sharp tv.

Thanks

GasVe

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:56 am »
Hi:
     I am writing something quick in this post, I hope in the short term write something in wiki. My setup is configured in the way that is for reasons coming from history, the others matter of convenience.

1. I always followed the idea of having a firewall as simple as possible and having LMCE as firewall is quite far from that, it is a really a huge set of diffrent parts of pieces of software development, I prefer and I feel more comfortable having a single piece of hardware, running the Linux kernel, iptables and support software and nothing else.

2. Why wireless, you always mentioned the wife factor I am living in a rented home and I in plans to buy a new house, so I was no in the plan to make drill to in the wall to run cables from from where is mi FW to the living room, first I started with a single cable running just over the floor, but usually my wife tripped with the cable, so then wireless was my only choice.

3. I use for MB a Abit AN-M2HD, someone had complains because it show the integrated NIC as eth1 instead of eth0, so this is not bug to me really it is nice feature that uses a lot because I can use the integrated nic, 1GB, to move data from my laptop from and to the LMCE, so it is used as hybrid, currently I have installed LMCE 7.10 I didn't made any attempt to install 8.10 I need to buy a new disk to play a bit without touching my current configuration. 

4 How I use the wireless, I said previously I am using a TP-LINK  TL-WN651G, because it uses Atheros chip and It can be get in my country, Chip Atheros is recognized as working wireless in Linux since a long time ago, so my election was right I installed the card and it worked at the first try. I have configured using wpa-personal, the next is my  networks file, of course the critical info was changed:

auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
   address 192.168.80.1
   netmask 255.255.255.0
auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
   pre-up /sbin/modprobe ath_pci
   wpa-driver wext
   wpa-ssid your-ssid
   wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
   wpa-psk the_passphrase_generated_with wpa_passphrase

Even when ath0 is configured in auto it never started automatically, so here it is the "duct tape" I used the next lines in /etc/rc.local
RANA="/tmp/ranita."$$
touch $RANA
/sbin/ifdown --verbose ath0 >> $RANA 2>&1
/sbin/ifup --verbose ath0 >> $RANA 2>&1
exit 0

The funny story was that it was not working, so when I have tried to debug the messages coming from the output of the commands it worked and it is working for about 3 months, maybe some kind of the delay I am just guessing.

The good thing about LMCE it is being a huge machine even can be touched in the way I did without breaking it.

I hope these lines show which are the reasons for that kind of setup.

Best Regards

GasVe

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57:22 am »
I honestly don't know where to start at making a patch and haven't had time to research that.

Most network related scripts can be found with this command:
Code: [Select]
ls /usr/pluto/bin|grep net -i|grep -v Orbiter

On top of that, you have the web admin to take off:
ls /var/www/lmce-admin/operations/network

And for the install, we have the new-installer. Finding out, where stuff happens in there:
grep ifconfig /root/new-installer/*

I am sure, you people can make it work fairly fast, but splitting tasks:
  • One is doing the shell scripts
  • One is doing the PHP changes
  • One is doing the new-installer updates

and in the end, EVERYBODY will have a solution working out of the box, without the need to manually twiddle around. Something that people new to Linux do not like doing.

GO! GET IT DONE!

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 05:12:10 am »
hi,

I'm definitely not great at writing scripts, but this worked for me with one wireless card and one ethernet NIC. For now it assumes there is one of each and the wireless is the external interface.  maybe someone can take this and make it more robust or universal.

I do not have a setup with two ethernet NICs to verify it didnt change anything.

I modified mce-install.sh for the install scripts like this....

if [ ! -e /tmp/mce_wizard_data.sh ]
then
#       cp ./mce_wizard_data.sh /tmp
        if ip link|grep -E -i "eth|ra|wlan|ath"|grep -v -c ether > 1
        then
                if ip link|grep -E -i "ra|wlan|ath"|grep -v -c ether >0
                then
                        wiface=`ip link|grep -E -i 'ra|wlan|ath'|grep -v ether|cut -d ':' -f 2| tr -d [:space:]`
                        lface=`ip link|grep eth|grep -v ether|cut -d ':' -f 2| tr -d [:space:]`
                        sed "/c_netExtName='eth0'/c c_netExtName='$wiface'" mce_wizard_data-double_nic.sh| sed "/c_netIntName='eth1'/c c_netIntName='$lface'" >/tmp/mce_wizard_data.sh
                else
                        cp ./mce_wizard_data-double_nic.sh /tmp/mce_wizard_data.sh
                fi
        else
                cp ./mce_wizard_data-single_nic.sh /tmp/mce_wizard_data.sh
        fi
fi

like i said..  i'm not good at this but giving it a shot.

after using that during install its work in my 810 alpha2 system, but the web-admin says there is only one card even though it shows the wireless card and ethernet card.. I'll play with that next
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:14:34 am by itspac »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 02:10:03 pm »
itspac,

thank you for that script. Would you mind opening a trac ticket, and attaching it?

I am really looking forward to your changes for the web admin.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:46 pm »
Great work thanks for this!  Hopefully it will make it into the release of 810!

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:16:31 pm »
itspac,

thank you for that script. Would you mind opening a trac ticket, and attaching it?

i made a trac and attached.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »

I will make a trac for this too, but for now.  The changes to networksettings.php will help you switch between the two cards.   I think I will try to make a version that lists each card and allow the user to choose which is the internal and which is external in case there is more than two cards installed.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
Im really looking forward to your next output itspac!  I am really after a wireless MCE solution as much as possible, and cannot help but think i wouldnt manage it without your help!

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:57 pm »

I will make a trac for this too, but for now.  The changes to networksettings.php will help you switch between the two cards.   I think I will try to make a version that lists each card and allow the user to choose which is the internal and which is external in case there is more than two cards installed.

Let's get this in Trac so that it can be incorporated in 0810...

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 02:48:51 pm »

Let's get this in Trac so that it can be incorporated in 0810...

The file I attached has a trac for it.

I wont be making any additional changes until after July.  Busy with work travel  and moving... 

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »
itspac, i installed today using your update to the mce-install.sh and have had some success.  The install has gone fine but the light on my usb wifi card is not on and the mce machine doesnt seem to be going out onto the internet.  IP address wise my router is set up as dhcp but i wouldnt have thought that would matter for the external link?  The wifi connection was setup and working in kde before beginning the install if that matters.

Can you give me a pointer as to how i might get this working from here?

Strangly (to me at least) mce seems to have messed up my connections in kde.  I am no longer able to connect via wireless (when i drop to kde from within MCE) and my wired connection doesnt seem to connect to my router for the internet now either?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:04:09 pm by geekyhawkes »

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:07 pm »
Yeah mce doesn't seem to use network manager. I found I have to have my wireless connection without network manager first

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »
Sorry, can you give me some more details on setting up your wireless connection without network manager?  It was all working before the mce install but has dropped off since.