Author Topic: Myth/HDHomeRun questions..  (Read 3498 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Myth/HDHomeRun questions..
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »
After a couple fits and starts, I have HDHomeRun nearly working. 

Background in case someone else runs into any of this (or just skip down to the questions):

The first time I plugged my HDHR in I received the LMCE pop-up asking to add it.  I said yes and it seemed to go on it's merry way.  I gave it a good hour or two, then did a full reboot, still unable to switch Inputs to the HDHomeRun.  A quick check in lmce web admin showed it was there and looked ok, but running mythtv-setup from command line showed no HDHomeRun entries.  I removed the device from the web admin, unplugged then plugged it back in, and again was prompted to add it.  This time it took me to the setup wizard so I knew it was acting different than last.  After working through the setup wizard and giving it time to scan channels, still no love.  Back to mythtv-setup where the HDHR tuners showed up, and the starting channel was set to something like please add a valid channel.  Channel scan - nothing.  At this point I rebooted my desktop (not the core) to windows simply because I had an install disk and I figured it would have more tools.  After a couple firmware updates (maybe this was the key?) I was able to see channels in Windows, so back to linux for ssh w/X to run mythtv-setup again.  This time I was able to scan channels.

Question 1:  how should I scan the channels (assuming cable)?
A bit of googling implied I should set it to cable (obvious), then scan both QAM256 and QAM64.  I take it this mean scanning will find and add any additional channels no matter what type.  Is there any harm or benefit to scanning all 4 ways (QAM64/QAM128/QAM256/8-vsb) as long as existing channel treatment is set to minimal update?

Question 2: I'm clueless on how to map the Digital channels to the Schedules Direct/Comast guide, how is it done?
Unfortunately it appears EPG data is poorly supported (by Comcast, not Myth), so I feel I need to stick with Schedules Direct.

One oddity I noticed.  My QAM capable TVs will scan and find channel 2 and 2-1.  I look for this as a kind of test case because I know 2-1 the DTV version of cable channel 2 and analog channel 2.  I was concerned because in windows I scanned a few times and it never found 2-1.  However, MythTV seems to have found 2-1.   ???

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Myth/HDHomeRun questions..
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:27 am »
8VSB is only used for broadcast so you dont need to scan for it on cable. mythtv should resolve channel names automatically if using schedulesdirect. note that channel number and channel name can be different, ie in my area fox is on broadcast channel 18 but comes up as 13 in the guide. Once the hdhomerun was detected and configured with schedulesdirect guide data, i just had to go into mythsetup and do a channel scan on each tuner. then once mythfilldatabase had a chance to run for a bit i could watch tv.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:47 am »
jump on the core/hybrid, and go to the KDE desktop (or ssh -X to the core and run and x server). Open a console and run mythtv-setup. You'll need to scan the channels manually if LinuxMCE didn't do it when you added hdhomerun during the setup wizard.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:15:05 am »
jump on the core/hybrid, and go to the KDE desktop (or ssh -X to the core and run and x server). Open a console and run mythtv-setup. You'll need to scan the channels manually if LinuxMCE didn't do it when you added hdhomerun during the setup wizard.

Did that (had to because the wizard didn't).  I've also cleaned out all the old junk, removed the cable box/s-video stuff from lmce and mythtv.  scanned the channels (looks to be about 50-55 that it found, 10 with a callsign and the rest are unknownXX#Y where XX is the channel number and Y is the sub channel).  I also enabled EIT.  Unfortunately at this point there is NO schedule information, not even a limited EPG from the cable that I was seeing in Windows using the Media software.

In short, it's working great now except for it appears there is no link between schedules direct guide and the HDHR channels.  BTW, I was pleasantly surprised how good HDHR HD channels look on my 720p TV. 

From other posts I believe I'm in for the semi-tedious job of mapping every channel by hand, unfortunately I have no clue where to start.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:45:23 pm »
So when you went through LinuxMCE setup wizard, you click the tuners and entered your schedules direct user/pass? You ran mythtv-setup and scanned channels? Your schedules direct lineup matches your area lineup?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:10:48 am »
So when you went through LinuxMCE setup wizard, you click the tuners and entered your schedules direct user/pass? You ran mythtv-setup and scanned channels? Your schedules direct lineup matches your area lineup?

Yes to all.  At this point I have 2 separate video sources (schedule guides), one for the two HDHomeRun tuners and one for a PVR-150 that is on analog channel duty.  The analog channels have all their schedule info, and the HDHR schedule is all unknown.  I really expected the 10 HDHR channels that were identified (ie KUTV-DT) to pick up schedules direct scheduling, but it didn't.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:21:18 am »
Using picture-in-picture, my cable box, and mythtv/HDHR I was able to match up the HDHR channels with the cable companies channels (what a pain it would have been without a STB from the cable company).  Then using the report feature from schedules direct I got the xmltvid for each channel and C&P'd it into the channel settings part of mythweb.  After that I ran mythfilldatabase.  I'm happy to say I now have full scheduling information for my HDHR channels.

I'm surprised I couldn't find these setps when searching the forum, maybe my search-fu was off? 

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:45:33 pm »
Using picture-in-picture, my cable box, and mythtv/HDHR I was able to match up the HDHR channels with the cable companies channels (what a pain it would have been without a STB from the cable company).  Then using the report feature from schedules direct I got the xmltvid for each channel and C&P'd it into the channel settings part of mythweb.  After that I ran mythfilldatabase.  I'm happy to say I now have full scheduling information for my HDHR channels.

I'm surprised I couldn't find these setps when searching the forum, maybe my search-fu was off? 

Please post your solution and steps in the wiki, for others that may run into the same problem.