Author Topic: 710x64 Unable to use HP controllers, /dev/cciss/c0d0  (Read 4803 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
710x64 Unable to use HP controllers, /dev/cciss/c0d0
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:05 pm »
It looks like the install script attempts to write to /dev/cciss/c0d01 instead of /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 for the first partition?
How can I get around this for 710?

Kubuntu 810 will install on an HP (and therefor I assume simply installing the beta through apt will too), but will the unified installer for 810 still have the bug?

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: 710x64 Unable to use HP controllers, /dev/cciss/c0d0
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:48:19 pm »
Since we haven't modified lite-installer, I would assume so. We would need to add a lot of logic to detect unusual partition naming conventions.

-Thom

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:13:24 pm »
What package/script should I *attempt* to hack at in the DL DVD iso to work around this? Not sure I can, but I need to try:)
Thanks Thom!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:17:53 pm »
look at the lite-installer in:

./src/Ubuntu_Helpers_NoHardcode/build-dvd/lite-installer.sh

once you do a checkout of svn. we're using:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810

-Thom

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:14:28 pm »
Ok, I have the script and am starting to comment it out so I know what it does. Am I correct in assuming that if I re-insert it into the filesystem.squashfs file and re-author the dvd I am golden?

Thanks Thom!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »
yes.

-Thom

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:00:02 am »
I think have something I want to try, so looking at http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/src/Ubuntu_Helpers_NoHardcode/build-dvd/build-cd.sh I can see the mkisofs command you guys are using is:

Code: [Select]
mkisofs -o "$LiveCDISO" \
-b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
-c isolinux/boot.cat \
-no-emul-boot \
-boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table \
-r \
-V "Custom LMCE-Core" \
-cache-inodes \
-J \
-l \
"$LiveCDDir"

Yet when I run this, it upper-cases and butchers the file names? I can assume that I need to further relax the restrictions, but I am curious what script actually generates the DL dvd iso? FWIW, I am working remotely authoring this disc on a CentOS 5 server using its version of mkisofs which I can't imagine is much different from the ubuntu version I assume you guys use?

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »
we haven't gotten to actually building the dvd images yet... but the -r and -J should have produced a disk that has both proper Rock Ridge and Joliet extended filename name spaces....

strange.

-Thom

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »
Thom,
After a long wait with the animated Kubuntu screen, I got tossed into a busybox shell? Any ideas as to what went wrong? Could that be my filesystem.squashfs?
In what script do you guys do generate that? I could yank all the source and search for it, but if you know it would save me the bandwidth:) Mine was a bit smaller and took forever to decompress before I got the prompt? Possibly that is an indication? Mounting both original and mine looks the same:/

Searching the forum suggests this could also be a driver issue? Would the unpacking of the filesystem.squashfs show an error other than tossing me into a bbox prompt if it failed?

I am running this install over iLO so the iso is mounted as a USB device AFAIK, I'll start burning a dl dvd right now...

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »
It most likely would be a driver issue, most probably, you're missing needed drivers to mount the disk. :/

-Thom

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:00 pm »
Ok, I cut a dvd, and the same thing happened. It boots from an original dvd just fine locally so I know its my authoring that failed. How would I know if its a mkisofs or mksquashfs issue?

Your mksquashfs command is in build-cd.sh, and it runs w/o additional commands, yet mine was ~20megs smaller? Not sure that's an issue? I also don't know at which point the unpacking completes so that if I got tossed into a bbox prompt could that happen before the unpacking?

I am hoping its just how I authored it, my mkisofs was as follows:

Code: [Select]
mkisofs -o ../LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-i386-rc2_custom.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -V "Joes LMCE-Core" -cache-inodes -J \
-joliet-long -l -iso-level 4 -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase -ldot .

Thanks!