Author Topic: Updating video driver from USB in recovery mode  (Read 1840 times)

power_slide

• First post!
    • View Profile
Updating video driver from USB in recovery mode
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:55:03 pm »
Hey Guys

i have just installed linux MCE 7.10 and have been trying to solve this problem for hours

I have a MSI n9600gt graphic card

After the cd has installed and reboots i see the kubuntu screen then it goes black. i have changed the xorg.conf file so the driver is vesa and it helped as i could see the av screen but after i set up the av screen i get this 'Orbiter failed to setup the transparency' problem that comes up and i cannot go anywhere. from what i can see it is a nividia issue and i need to update the driver.

i have downloaded the run driver to a usb on my computer that has net access (Linux computer dosent) and now i need to be able to get it to my root directory to run.

how do i find and copy this file and run it so i can get to the next step of my install? or are there any other thoughts on what my issue is?

thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Updating video driver from USB in recovery mode
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:53:10 pm »
You need to give your LMCE installation access to the Internet during installation at the least, anyway. Once you have done this, you can easily download the driver using a wget command following the instructions in the wiki under Display Drivers. If you have no access to the Internet on your core, then I get the uncomfortable feeling that you are trying to set up the core as a single NIC rather than double NIC installation.... that is not going to work for you. Please see http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup and for the driver update instructions http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

vesa mode is no use, especially as you are trying to select alpha blended mode. Update the drivers per the instructions after installing the core with Internet access in a dual NIC configuration. Then re-run the AV Wizard. Also, I would suggest using the UI2 Masking mode rather than Alpha blending as you will get video tearing otherwise.