Author Topic: LVM  (Read 6588 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LVM
« on: March 26, 2005, 06:00:45 pm »
Im just about to start installing pluto in a bit here, and I had a question about using LVM for my hdd.  I currently run FC3 on my mythtv box which has about 500 GBs of storage over 4 IDE HDDs.  I know from reading your install docs you recommend a RAID config, but Ive never used one before, and dont know if you even can with IDE drives.  I like LVM as its easy to add hdds or remove them from the system.  Is that an option with the pluto kickstart CD?  I know its deb based, but Ive never installed deb so I dont know what options are avail on thier installer.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LVM
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:30:27 pm »
Hmm...  That's a good question.  I don't know anything about LVM.  I sent an email to one of our programmers who handles all the low-level Debian stuff.  But he probably won't be checking his email until he comes in the office on Monday (we're paid staff--so not too much happens on the weekends).

What you could do that's benign is try the Kick Start CD, and when it gets to the part about partitioning, **DON'T** answer yes.  Go into the advanced view and see how it sees your harddrives.  I imagine it will just see 4 individual hard drives, since it sounds like LVM is software that's loaded afterwards.

Perhaps you could just do a regular installation on one of the drives, and then after it's up and running add LVM and the other 3???  Unfortunately, I'm not too much help since I haven't a clue how to do that, though.  Monday we'll have a better answer for you.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LVM
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 07:43:14 pm »
Aaron,

No problem, I understand.  Ive got more than enough to play around with for the weekend.  I only live in an apt, so I wont be able ot use all the cool toys of pluto, but I have to say the whole package is quite nice. Youve all done quite a nice job with this...in fact some of the features have piqued some interest among some mythtv users I know.  As I understand it you guys are in Ft Lauderdale, Im up in Tampa.....do you know if you have any dealers for your equipment in my area? Would love to see a whole system (the follow me functions with BT phones, the security and cam functions, etc.) running.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: LVM
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 05:58:23 pm »
Quote from: "sigtom"
Im just about to start installing pluto in a bit here, and I had a question about using LVM for my hdd.

LVM is Logical Volume Manager? I think I saw support for that in the installer, but I also think that you need to type "expert26" at the CD boot prompt and choose the lvm module by hand. I don't know too much about LVM either, but as far as I've heared, Linux supports it pretty well.

If I find more info, I'll come back with details.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: LVM
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 06:38:57 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
Quote from: "sigtom"
Im just about to start installing pluto in a bit here, and I had a question about using LVM for my hdd.

LVM is Logical Volume Manager? I think I saw support for that in the installer, but I also think that you need to type "expert26" at the CD boot prompt and choose the lvm module by hand. I don't know too much about LVM either, but as far as I've heared, Linux supports it pretty well.

If I find more info, I'll come back with details.

Hi,

has anyone made any progress. I'd like to add 1 more disk to my pluto core and LVM seems to be only way. How to activate it on working system ?

Under Suse you go to Yast and set it up, but what under Debian ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LVM
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:06:58 pm »