Author Topic: 8.10 Hybrid Core  (Read 14247 times)

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
8.10 Hybrid Core
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:55:13 am »
I was just wondering if anyone has been able to successfully install/run a hybrid core based on the current alpha.  I believe I have an issue with the window manager configuration as no X applications are starting up.  If anyone has any experiences, please share. 

Thanks,

Chris

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 8.10 Hybrid Core
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:48 am »
I gave it a whirl on a PC with an on-board Intel 4500 video card which didn't seem to get along to well. I'll give it a try again in Beta, but until then I'm going to finish working out my kinks in 710 and learn the system as much as I can.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
Hi castlec,

8.10 runs fine as core hybrid.  If you have a black screen on startup you should look at this link.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3931.0

Cheers.

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:50:30 pm »
Hi castlec,

8.10 runs fine as core hybrid.  If you have a black screen on startup you should look at this link.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3931.0

Cheers.

Thanks for the pointer pigdog.  I had already read through that and unfortunately, it's not an issue with the output.  I can bring the AVWizard up and configure everything just fine.  Sound works, video works but when Start_X.sh is executed, xfwm4 is brought up and all I get is a mouse pointer.  The mouse pointer is active and usable.  If I go log into a vterm and direct X to that display I can run applications.  No applications are being started after the window manager comes up.

For those interested, here are my basic hardware specs:
M3A78-EM.... 780G chipset
Phenom II X4 940
8 GB ram

Hardware not yet added
Second NIC
HVR-2250

I'm going to probably head out and buy my second NIC tonight as I'm wondering if that could somehow cause the issue I'm experiencing.  I've already been told I would have to re-install afterward so I was waiting for the HVR drivers to be released before I bothered with it.  I'm doing my tinkering now to get the process down so that I get it all in one clean and fresh install

Chris

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:50:18 pm »
Are you sure it's done when you see the black screen with the mouse pointer?

When I install 8.10 it stays like that for quite a long time, I always get tired of waiting and just leave it there with the speakers on. Then suddenly the screen changes and I hear "When you can see and hear me..."

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
Are you sure it's done when you see the black screen with the mouse pointer?

When I install 8.10 it stays like that for quite a long time, I always get tired of waiting and just leave it there with the speakers on. Then suddenly the screen changes and I hear "When you can see and hear me..."

How long is quite a long time, you think?  I've left it for at least an hour, even overnight once if I recall correctly.  I had assumed it was generating the orbiter and left it for a long while.  If I invoke the AVWizard again, should I be able to count on the configuration (what is the name of that application?) to start eventually?  How long do you think it would take to come up for a 1080p hybrid core?

I'm not against starting it all over again to make sure I haven't personally screwed something up but I need to know when I should know something is legitimately wrong.

I didn't have any trouble with the 7.10 configuration finishing but afterward I noticed my SATA DVD device didn't exist (odd because that was how I installed the system).  I decided to give 8.10 a shot and here I am :)

Thanks,

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:22 pm »
Depending on the installer, it might never finish, as there was a bug in one of the installers. (4).

The now latest installer (as of a few minutes ago online), adds some additional feedback after running the AV Wizard.

You might want to try the latest one. http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/new-installer-latest.tar.gz

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »
Depending on the installer, it might never finish, as there was a bug in one of the installers. (4).

I used installer 4.  Is it possible to download the new installer package and run it or will I need a fresh Kubuntu install?  I assume it's too complicated to undo the distribution upgrade.  I should have ghosted my machine before running the installer.  One of these days I'll learn.

Chris

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:30 pm »
it might work re-running the installer, but I doubt it. :(

Sorry to have caused this trouble.

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:07:03 am »
It appears as though running installer 5 on top of installer 4 has been successful.  The config wizard has started up.  Thanks for letting me know about the new installer.  I'll post back to let everyone know how it goes.

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:07 am »
I'm up and running.  Two issues remain.
  • Dropping to kde fails.  The Orbiter continues to display images but otherwise locks up.
  • I'm unable to access media on my DVD/CD drive

Any thoughts others have would be appreciated.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:12 pm »
hi castlec,

You might want to double check via webadmin Media Director > software modules (edit) to make sure cd/dvd is checked.

Another thing is you can't play encryted DVD's without libdvdcss2 installed.

I've got the latest alpha 2 updates and no KDE as well.

I thought it should...2.15

KDE on the MD should work not. The first boot of the system after the update will take a bit longer, as stuff that has not worked, is now being executed for the first time.

...I thought this was meant to say should work now but maybe it really means should not work.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:07:00 pm by pigdog »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:08 pm »
pigdog,

KDE on MD should work since 2.15 (with the snafu fix of 2.16).

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »
Hi posde,

Thanks.  I've got a problem then.  My MD has no KDE.

I'm going to install another MD to see if it works.

I selected KDE desktop from the menu and have let it sit over a hour, a couple of times, with no results.

I have booted up at least 10 times since installing 2.15 and am running 2.17 at the present moment.

I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again.

p.s. Damn! My first MD loaded just beautifully.  I didn't even have to make changes to my xorg.conf.

RGB was commented out, the driver was nvidia and my modeline was set for 1080p resolution.

Didn't have to touch EDID.

My second unit has kernel panics.  Well, here we go.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:43:19 pm by pigdog »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 06:29:35 pm »
Hi,

This MD was booting up fine before 2.15 and subsequent rebuild.

It's just an older Realtek 10/100 card.  Can't be an unrecognized NIC.

Well, for fun I took a look at /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modules and atl1 and sky2 are there.

Never needed anything else before.

The line just before the kernel panic states...

/init: .:line1:can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf

I've hunted around and there is no such file on the core.

Am I going in the wrong direction?