Author Topic: Restart Xineplayer  (Read 3547 times)

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Restart Xineplayer
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:17 am »
Hello,

Quite often when I'm watching a movie the streaming is choppy and when I do top I see that the Xine_Player process is always above of 50-60% of CPU consumption and this usage gets worse has time goes by.
The solution? Restart router (anoying) and even though at the end of the movie the frames start to get choppy again, although in a tolerable rate :(.
I'm wondering if instead of restart the all DCERouter I just restart the Xine_Player whenever I start a movie playback.

Does anyone know which is the command to restart the Xine Player dcerouter device?

thkx
JD

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Restart Xineplayer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:41 am »
You should be able to do that from the corresponding device's page (see the links at the top) in the web-admin, just look it up in the "device tree".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
Zaerc,
But how can I automatically restart de Xine Player device whenever I start a movie, is it possible to set this up on the admin page? Perhaps defining a media scenario?!?

Thx
JD

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »
Zaerc,
But how can I automatically restart de Xine Player device whenever I start a movie, is it possible to set this up on the admin page? Perhaps defining a media scenario?!?

Thx
JD

This is a more generic problem. We should have some kind of hooks, where one could issue few commands prior certain events (we have like "when media is played" events, maybe we need "before media is played"). This would also become handy in more general way - for instance you could prepend certain announcement audio to all speech announcements (right now kids sometimes get scared when House suddenly starts to talk)....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:25 pm »

I'm having the same problem with sporadically choppy video. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it starts and I don't see anything strange in either the DCERouter or Xine logs. Has anyone else experienced this/found a solution?

:Matt

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:33 pm »
Hi,

Are we talking 710 or 810?

Are we playing DVD's from the Core HDD or Core DVD player, locally from the MD's DVD player or on the MD from the core HDD or from a NAS?

Sorry for asking but I've experienced problems with all of the above.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »
This has been reported many times, by many different people, both in 0710 and 0810. It is associated with playing media back... the more you play the worse it will get. It behaves like a leak of some kind, but to date I have never seen any other solution other than reloading (of course resetting the Xine device has the same effect, as the issue with with Xine)

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:10:53 am »
Could the App Server be used to kill and respawn the xine player? (I'm not really clear on exactly what App Server does or the correct parameters to pass to it...)

I don't really see anything else that could be used in the Media Scenario editor to automate restarting xine whenever a video is played.

:Matt

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:09:47 am »
There is a DCE command you can send to stop and start or restart any DCE device. It is one of the SYS_COMMANDs, can't remember which, but if you search for a thread on suspending MDs which I contributed to I may have mentioned which command it is.