Author Topic: Calling for Software Developers, do you know any??? Everyone please read...  (Read 8860 times)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
What do you mean
Contact universities?

jimmyboy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
I'd be more than happy to help.  I currently work as a software dev for an options trading company.  Most of my work is PHP and MySQL based, but I'm pretty flexible as far as platforms go.  I'll also pass the word around to my co-workers, maybe one or two will also be interested.  Just pulled up the programming and developers guides and I'll be going over them now.  Let me know what you need me to get started on.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
I'd be more than happy to help.  I currently work as a software dev for an options trading company.  Most of my work is PHP and MySQL based, but I'm pretty flexible as far as platforms go.  I'll also pass the word around to my co-workers, maybe one or two will also be interested.  Just pulled up the programming and developers guides and I'll be going over them now.  Let me know what you need me to get started on.

Jimmy, welcome! We'd definitely love to have you and your friends help us out. PHP skills are definitely needed when trying to work on the Web Admin and of course MySQL skills are great. DCE, and its devices are written mostly in portable ANSI STL C++, referencing constants, and data inside the database, code and data are tightly coupled.

You can also write DCE devices in Ruby using the Generic Serial Device (GSD), which is a wonderful way to write small simple device controls very quickly.

We also use shell scripting, perl, and awk for underlying system script integration and for synchronization between some parts of the subsystem (i.e. between our Asterisk DCE device, the Telecom Plugin, and Asterisk).

Feel free to drop by the #linuxmce-devel channel on freenode to chat with us.

-dlewis

jimmyboy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile

Jimmy, welcome! We'd definitely love to have you and your friends help us out. PHP skills are definitely needed when trying to work on the Web Admin and of course MySQL skills are great. DCE, and its devices are written mostly in portable ANSI STL C++, referencing constants, and data inside the database, code and data are tightly coupled.

You can also write DCE devices in Ruby using the Generic Serial Device (GSD), which is a wonderful way to write small simple device controls very quickly.

We also use shell scripting, perl, and awk for underlying system script integration and for synchronization between some parts of the subsystem (i.e. between our Asterisk DCE device, the Telecom Plugin, and Asterisk).

Feel free to drop by the #linuxmce-devel channel on freenode to chat with us.

-dlewis

The Web Admin stuff would probably be the smoothest transition for me, however I do have shell scripting experience and I've thrown enough hacks together with perl and awk to be fairly proficient.  Never messed around with Ruby much, but as far as I can tell it's just sloppy C (like PHP and others)  The C++ would probably take me a bit to be useful but I'm willing if it's needed.  I'll see ya around on #linuxmce-devel sometime.

mce_in_catford4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hi,
Some stuff about me.
I currently work as an Oracle devloper programming PL/SQL scripts. My job also involves a lot of VBA devlopment.
I have a lot of experence in programming C++ on a windows PC.
I have devloped websites using drupal which has given me experence in LAMP (linux, apache, mysql and PHP)
I am also looking for a weekend project to get my teeth sutck into.

I have got a linuxMCE machine wirrhing away in the corner and I am trying to convince my self to use it and throw out my Windows Media centre but there are lots of niggling issues with usability. (I fequently start trying to watch something on my LinuxMCE PC, then get fed up and switch back to the windows one.)

I am thinking getting involved might mean that I can get stuck into fixing some of these issues that are stopping me let go of windows Media centre.

I should point out that I am not a linux hack. Over the last couple of years I have used ubuntu more and more. I spent the last week building an xorg.conf file for an ubuntu system to get the display working right. I am expanding my experence though: e,g, writing bash scripts and php programs:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Setup_Automatic_podcast_download#Step_4_-_Add_your_own_podcasts

Does anyone see a place for someone like me on the devlopment team?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Does anyone see a place for someone like me on the devlopment team?

Yes, there is always room for someone on the dev team... I'd suggest first looking at the development documents on the wiki. Then, get your LinuxMCE system back up and running with 0810 and play around with it for a little bit. Once you get comfortable, look at Trac and see some of the bugs we have open and talk to us about which ones you want to tackle...