Author Topic: Android Orbiter  (Read 47747 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Android Orbiter
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:24 pm »
Where has everyone else reached on this?

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:38 am »
Started to look at it this week. I think it is going to take a bit more than was discussed in previous posts, simply because of the differnce in graphics libraries between javaME and android. When I get some more time next week I will start to do some more on this.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 02:03:05 am »
Just got back from holidays for the last couple of weeks.

I managed to have a look at it before I went. Made some basic progress - in that I could port over the existing JavaMO code to run on android. I am using Socket connections rather than Bluetooth. Will get it working with that first I think.
Was in the process of setting up a test harness to send/receive BD commands to/from the phone. Will try that further this week or weekend.

Regards
Darren

castlec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »
Just got back from holidays for the last couple of weeks.

I managed to have a look at it before I went. Made some basic progress - in that I could port over the existing JavaMO code to run on android. I am using Socket connections rather than Bluetooth. Will get it working with that first I think.
Was in the process of setting up a test harness to send/receive BD commands to/from the phone. Will try that further this week or weekend.

Regards
Darren

Any progress Darren?  I was thinking about doing this myself when I noticed all of the chatter on the forum about it.  No sense in wasting someone's effort.

castle

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 12:42:34 am »
Hi,

Doing little bits when I get a chance. Been reading up on the Android platform lately to get a better idea of how the intent stuff works etc.
Probably code a bit more over the next few weeks.

Feel free to jump in and have a go.

Regards
Darren

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:31 pm »
Darren - I have a Google Nexus One now, so if you need a tester, let me know! (still on 0710 tho, btw!)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »
You guys are aware that someone made a svn commit with an apk file right?  Looks to be JavaMO ported to Android.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »
Any details on that addition?  I may have more free time to look into this in the coming weeks.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 04:45:40 pm »
You guys are aware that someone made a svn commit with an apk file right?  Looks to be JavaMO ported to Android.

Any updates gentlemen?  Just want to know before I waste my time on something that's already close to completion.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »
Can someone please grab this from svn and verify that this works?

-Thom

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »
Any updates gentlemen?  Just want to know before I waste my time on something that's already close to completion.

The update so far when anyone has asked has been silence.  Because of that, I doubt anyone is working actively on it.  If you get an Android orbiter working, it will not be time wasted.  The only wasted time so far has been waiting for people to tell us that they are not doing anything...

I'd suggest you go search out this apk file in SVN and see what it does.  I asked about it earlier and have had silence since - so I doubt it's active.  You may also want to look at the RPC plugin, which is also in SVN.  There is no documentation for it outside of the source code.  Hari is the one who wrote it, I believe.  I have not used it, but it sounds like the web-based features would work well for Android-based applications.

Whichever approach you choose - please keep everyone up to date on your progress with either a wiki page or a thread in the developer's section.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »
I have not had a chance to look at this in a while. The wife gave birth to our first last week, so fun has been on hold for a while. Well not all fun, just gadget fun.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »
From SVN;

"Early alpha, strait transform of the original JavaMO, still runs through the j2se, and is not actually ported to run in android native.

It is an orbiter in apk format but also requires the j2se runner.

Ive had it work in the virtual 2.0 environment that runs in my sdk, but no luck yet on the dream. I believe it to be a memory limitation.

needs testing"

Checked in by f8al, I havn't tried it.

My progress has been slow to non-existant. Currently working on two other things that are higher priority for me at the moment.

I don't think anyone has progressed too far so it wouldn't be a waste of effort to have a go at it.

Regards
Darren

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:51 am »
I was asking my self if i could use the source and change the preview of the orbiter .Could u tell me ? If u allow me could u please send me the source ?

And other did u stop the development of the Android orbiter ?

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:43 am »
The work that was done in this thread did not progress much further. Instead I developed a ProxyOrbiter client in Android that was simpler to develop and utilises existing backend functionality. This provides a reasonable user experience and is suitable for performing most interactions.

See this thread for details
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10811.0

And the code for this is here
http://svn.charonmedia.org/trac.cgi/browser/people/darrenmason/AndroidTouchOrbiter

Hoping to update this with increased functionality in line with the work that Andrew and the Dianemo guys are doing.

regards
Darren