Author Topic: Android Orbiter  (Read 47611 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Android Orbiter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:25:39 pm »
looks like it is saying that the RFCOMM server feature will be available in the November 2009 release...

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 03:20:22 am »
I would want this even if not owning a phone with android, especially since these little boards seem to be able to run android..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05aFF0fx4hs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpB0gQXMPpY

Mini2440 with android and linuxmce, count me in. I'm seeing a lot of possibilities

Richard

skates44

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »
I've been a member for a while but I have never posted so here goes.....

I am not a developer, I am a register nurse who is learning *nix quickly so forgive me if some of the things I say seem amiss.  I love the idea of LinuxMCE and will be implementing it very soon.  Since I am not a developer, I thought I would contribute by documenting my process/progress and advertise as much as possible.  I can't code (yet) but I am no leach either and will document, document, document or whatever else I can do to contribute.

That being said, here is my two cents:  I have been riding the fence for some time about Android vs IPhone.  I'd love to see the Android take over because of its true openess if nothing else.  It doesn't have the market share today, but I feel as though it could capture it in the near future.  Plus all of the other devices that it'll potentially run on.  So, I would love to see LinuxMCE make use of the Android OS! 

Again, since I am not a developer (nor a leach), I can and will contribute financially to this effort.  I am not made of money so don't get any ideas about future projects when I say this but,.......I'll give $100 toward this effort and look into getting/shipping an unlocked device for a worthy developer sometime later if it hasn't happened already.

I have to wait till November too because of personal reasons and wanting to wait for the new release of Android, but hey, that's right around the corner!

Skates

JDFire

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:57 pm »
It appears that Android 2.0 will have RFCOMM support. Please see the following like for details.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »
It appears that Android 2.0 will have RFCOMM support. Please see the following like for details.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

saw this:

# Connect to a remote device using RFCOMM and send/receive data
# Advertise RFCOMM services and listen for incoming RFCOMM connection

I have seen posts from HTC stating that they are working on an update for their devices currently running android 1.5 and 1.6. i assume other devices will be compatible also. In addition there are several upcoming devices with 2.0. My phone had a drinking problem (got wet with rum at a party lol) I'm pondering whether or not to go with a android for the possibility of using it with Lmce. any opinions?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:53:09 pm by Newguy2 »

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
I have the new Motorola Droid and will be looking to port an orbiter to this platform, but I am having one bitch of a time getting 810 back up and running at home. I have reinstalled at least 15 times, and have had varied results all bad. As soon as I can get a stable system running, I will start looking at the code to do this.

compressor5

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 06:10:13 pm »
I've been a member for a while but I have never posted so here goes.....

I am not a developer, I am a register nurse who is learning *nix quickly so forgive me if some of the things I say seem amiss.  I love the idea of LinuxMCE and will be implementing it very soon.  Since I am not a developer, I thought I would contribute by documenting my process/progress and advertise as much as possible.  I can't code (yet) but I am no leach either and will document, document, document or whatever else I can do to contribute.

That being said, here is my two cents:  I have been riding the fence for some time about Android vs IPhone.  I'd love to see the Android take over because of its true openess if nothing else.  It doesn't have the market share today, but I feel as though it could capture it in the near future.  Plus all of the other devices that it'll potentially run on.  So, I would love to see LinuxMCE make use of the Android OS! 

Again, since I am not a developer (nor a leach), I can and will contribute financially to this effort.  I am not made of money so don't get any ideas about future projects when I say this but,.......I'll give $100 toward this effort and look into getting/shipping an unlocked device for a worthy developer sometime later if it hasn't happened already.

I have to wait till November too because of personal reasons and wanting to wait for the new release of Android, but hey, that's right around the corner!

Skates

I could have written this post myself with the exception of being an RN. I have an iPhone, but I can't believe how quickly Android has taken hold of the Smart Phone market!!! Skates, I absolutely agree that Android is the better fit because it is an open platform. I have never felt comfortable with how restricted the iPhone is...even the jailbroken versions. I'll pledge another $100 to whomever is responsible for getting a fully functioning Orbiter on the Android interface. I want to contribute more than just my $$, but I have other commitments at the moment. I am so eager to be a part of this community, and I think that getting an orbiter that can unlock all the functionality of LinuxMCE on a popular smartphone interface is a vital component to its future success! I believe Android will bridge across every Wireless provider, and soon! That makes it the best candidate at being available to the largest audience. It could even be the death knell for Symbian, Palm, and even Windows Mobile...at least as they currently reside as closed source and $$. I'm not arguing against the iPhone just yet, it is going to be around for a very long time, and hopefully Jobs lets it off its leash.

I have followed this forum for awhile now, and I have to give a respectful thanks to the small group of dedicated developers who have put so much time and effort into this project (you know who you are). I admire your immense efforts!

I want to start digging into the code, and I have planned to tie off my loose ends to my current commitments in order to become a contributor to this effort, and even starting a local club (or support group) in my area. Long live LinuxMCE!!!

sfalcon1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 01:18:56 am »
Hey I haven't posted for a while here but wanted to share some info on Android Dev. I noticed a few posts that were a little off about the DEV. First is that you don't need the hardware.  Google makes an awesome emulator that works very well. Also use Eclipse for development.  The Android SDK gives you all you need plus the emulator and wizards.  And  its OpenSource.

I know its not an orbiter but someone does have a free app that is a mythtv remote. 

http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/

Scott

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 09:08:06 pm »
Might already been thought of or maybe impossible or something but I was thinking:

Why not add the possibility to control the MD with an android phone by the accelerometer? Just like it was a gyro mouse.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 05:41:51 pm »
I am in for 100.
I never quit... I just ping out.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 07:08:41 pm »
*edited out error

Side note... droid has a magnetomer. In verizons infinite wisdom, the only cases they had at my store had magnetic clasps, which will ruin the phone in this capacity. Do not get a case w a magnet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:27:54 am by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 05:52:59 pm »
Grrr...why oh why does this community just want to pay people to do things, time after time I see this happen here and it completely thwarts the whole spirit of open source.  Greed, necessity, whatever it is, all this paid development crap is not helping the cause IMO.  If you're going to do it in your spare time do it because it's a hobby and you want to or if you just want it, but don't have the skillset then learn, there are plenty of people here helping me learn right now.  The means are there, you guys just need to put some of your own time into it and stop just throwing money at it.  The problem is that there just aren't enough people doing work on the system, no matter how much money you throw at it, that's still going to be the problem!  Dig in

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
This is so self-evident, but: to begin 'learning' of the system is rather difficult. I, for example, have spent a lot of time reading this forum and wiki, yet, am unable to do any practical development. It does not mean I'm not committed to this, however.
It would be great to have some workshop around this?? Europe&US??

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »
I just picked up a Motorola Droid - it's sweet.  The only thing it can't do is be a LinuxMCE Orbiter...  Has anyone started work on this?  I can volunteer to do testing or work along side someone over the next few weeks.  I probably won't have time to do hardcore development work until after winter.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 09:38:56 pm »
I plan on it , as soon as I get my system back up the way I want it. One MD do go. I think I am going to look into using wireless Lan instead of bluetooth. I will let you know in the next few weeks.