Author Topic: Wikified: how to convert Philips RC5 codes to Pronto RAW?  (Read 1651 times)

Domodude

Wikified: how to convert Philips RC5 codes to Pronto RAW?
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:38:54 pm »
For those that know RC5 codes for their devices, but no Pronto codes:

To convert philips RC5 infrared codes to Pronto codes usable by Linuxmce, you'd need a converter utility that can do a conversion not only to Pronto, but also to Pronto RAW (LinuxMCE cannot handle codes starting with, for example, 5000). IRCodeDoctor (http://www.ir-toolkit.com/IRCodeDoctor.jar) does just the thing  8). Check the wiki at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Converting_Philips_RC-5_to_Pronto for a quick description of the process.

Have fun,
Mark

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikified: how to convert Philips RC5 codes to Pronto RAW?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »
Fantastic, thank you so much for your work!

Should we work on some code to do IR code conversion, to be crammed into the wiki?

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »
Fantastic, thank you so much for your work!

Should we work on some code to do IR code conversion, to be crammed into the wiki?

The code's not mine -- I just found it  ;D.
Nonetheless, I can venture a look into this. I'll let you know.

Domodude

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Nonetheless, I can venture a look into this. I'll let you know.

The author of this utility is willing to provide us with a command line version, where we could just specify the desired input and output format. Although free, it is not an open-source project unfortunately. Does that have implications for integration into LMCE?
I do think the possibilities with a CLI version are awesome nonetheless.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't want to take this option. If the guy isn't willing to provide the code for what amounts to a coversion utility....

....that's beyond retarded.

we might as well write it ourselves.

Fucking greedy people,

-Thom

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:32:14 pm »
If it's free, why not just go the OSS model and give the code?

Domodude

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:48:05 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't want to take this option. If the guy isn't willing to provide the code for what amounts to a coversion utility....

From what I understand, he once had the intent of writing a "pro" version that would need a license. His project kind of died out, but who knows what his plans are now as far as the pro version goes.

He refered to his activities in the openremote.org project, which is GPL, maybe this would be a better option in the long run. I will have to read up on it, but not tonight anymore!

Domodude

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 02:44:37 pm »
Tschak, zaerc, others: whuddaya think about openremote.org? From what I can read on their site, it seems that the project is not very mature and that implementing their API in LinuxMCE would be a considerable effort. I don't see any advantages compared to what's being done in LMCE.
http://openremote.org/display/integration/Integration+Overview....

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:58 pm »
Tschak, zaerc, others: whuddaya think about openremote.org? From what I can read on their site, it seems that the project is not very mature and that implementing their API in LinuxMCE would be a considerable effort. I don't see any advantages compared to what's being done in LinuxMCE.
http://openremote.org/display/integration/Integration+Overview....

I'll reserve my opinion on openremote until it gets more mature and I play around with it more... My understanding is they have similiar goals as we do (complete home automation). They also have financial support from Marc Fluery (JBoss fame). I plan to meet with some of those guys in the coming weeks/months (one of the main guys lives near me).

Domodude

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
I plan to meet with some of those guys in the coming weeks/months (one of the main guys lives near me).

I think they also have an Amsterdam meeting somewhere end of this month.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 02:59:36 pm »
I plan to meet with some of those guys in the coming weeks/months (one of the main guys lives near me).

I think they also have an Amsterdam meeting somewhere end of this month.

Yes, they do.