Author Topic: IP Controllers and Network Devices  (Read 25873 times)

vgoxon

• View Profile
IP Controllers and Network Devices
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:31:43 pm »
Hello all,

I hope my posting is ok and not out of line!

We have/are developing a range of IP controllers and would be happy to work with any one who maybe interested in using them with
LinuxMCE.

The unit i think maybe of interest is called T1, this has

1x Ethernet
4x RS232 ports
1x RS485 port
1x Relay
6x IR outputs

We also make devices that sit on he RS485 such as relay boxes, audio switchers and dimmers (dimmers are coming soon)

All units are euro DIN mount but can be put into desk top or rack mount style boxes.

please PM me if you would like to work with us.
thanks
g

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: IP Controllers and Network Devices
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:17:48 pm »
There really is no need to talk private message. This is something that benefits the whole community.

Welcome :)

Writing a device driver is very easy with this system, once a proper development environment has been set up. Device drivers can be written in either C++, or Ruby, and once written, can be checked into our source code tree and database for folding into the general release.

I would imagine that this device would be implemented exactly the same way as our existing GC-100 device, (as a C++ device.) and would be glad to assist in any way possible to write a driver.

-Thom

vgoxon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:51:56 am »
Thanks, thats all good then, yes the product is very much like a gc-100, we are adding some onboard
logic real time clock and IR storing, our IR learner is part of the unit which is handy.

I will have a protocol document out by next week i hope, so will send that around or post a down load link and people can tell us what they think.

g

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:44:42 pm »
Good stuff vgoxon... I'm looking forward to seeing your documentation.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:40:42 am »
Any speculation on a pricepoint?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:27 am »
I would buy multiple units if you guys managed to price it much more competitively than the GC-100.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »
I second what Thom said... especially if you were able to customize each unit, or just offer different varieties.
-Krys

vgoxon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry it's taken longer to get a doc sorted then i wanted.
On the cost bases it's the old numbers game, small batches cost sadly, but working on getting the price down, at the moment
the bigger one, 6x ir,4x 232,1x485,4x relay,4 x io is in the $500 ( i know!)

What would be a great help is if you guys could tell me what type of interface and numbers of them on a box and maybe we can
come up with something, it maybe I'm sticking on loads you don't want/need and not adding things your dreaming of!.

I have a light interface document for people to have a look at, it's very simple, can i post it here or should i just put a link to it?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »
What would be a great help is if you guys could tell me what type of interface and numbers of them on a box and maybe we can
come up with something, it maybe I'm sticking on loads you don't want/need and not adding things your dreaming of!.

I'd say single port RS232 plus IR ist needed mostly. Reason? Most people have a media director near by if more devices are controlled. And a lot of people (my guess), would need to control single devices away from the MDs.

gollywog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:28:53 am »
I would agree with Posde.

This would mean one piece of cat5 to say a AC unit and stick a IR emitter on it :)

Gollywog

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:46:30 am »
for 100EUR you get a 400Mhz ARM with 3,5" touchscreen running Linux with 3 serial ports (and plenty of other IO). I'm just looking into relais shield and consumer infrared extensions. A price of 500$ is quite steep..

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:42 pm »
for 100EUR you get a 400Mhz ARM with 3,5" touchscreen running Linux with 3 serial ports (and plenty of other IO). I'm just looking into relais shield and consumer infrared extensions.

Off-topic, I know, but where have you seen these? Are they suitable to use as orbiters (either mobile or fixed)?

Thanks!
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

vgoxon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »
for 100EUR you get a 400Mhz ARM with 3,5" touchscreen running Linux with 3 serial ports (and plenty of other IO). I'm just looking into relais shield and consumer infrared extensions. A price of 500$ is quite steep..

Is this the old friendlyarm system again?, it's not a bad bit of kit, but watch out for the life cycle, if it's just a few here or there it's not so bad, we will have a 3.5" ts out shortly on IP, price around $300. If it's not please say what it is, sounds good.

Yes $500 is steep!,  so a new build is underway, wireless or wired ip, 2x ir 2xrs232 2xrelay  temp sensor and 6 button inputs, price... hopefully $100 ish. when i say ish i mean in the range of 10% so more inline with the market i would hope!, the wifi might be a drop more as a few more parts.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
the mini2440 is a very good design. I'm not aware of any quality issues with the board itself.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:54:07 pm »
Yes $500 is steep!,  so a new build is underway, wireless or wired ip, 2x ir 2xrs232 2xrelay  temp sensor and 6 button inputs, price... hopefully $100 ish. when i say ish i mean in the range of 10% so more inline with the market i would hope!, the wifi might be a drop more as a few more parts.

That price point sounds reasonable.