Author Topic: READ: Website Help Needed  (Read 29897 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
READ: Website Help Needed
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:55:51 pm »
NOTE TO MODERATORS: I am posting this in users in an effort for everyone to read, because web people may not consider to check the developers section for stuff like this.

Okay fellas, Listen up.

LinuxMCE needs two Web Related tasks done, and we need people for them:

(1) Redesign of LinuxMCE.ORG
(2) Someone to maintain a newsroll for the site so that we have a nice stream of activity.

We are very flexible in terms of (1), and would love to see real working ideas for site layout, and page design.

Basically, in this community, we have one rule, He who does the work, has made the rules. We are asking for people to take the initiative, and try to improve the initial user experience when they come to the site.

I'd rather see more action, and less talk, as this is something that is critical, and we can take the approach of systematically improving things as time goes on, but we need people willing to do the work, and to just do it.

-Thom

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: READ: Website Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:22 am »
Thom,
I think a cms like joomla is what is required. It allows for multiple authorised users to easily upload articles/news items and once in place does not rely on a web designer to maintain. I am not a php programmer but I have installed and used it.

Can we add a third item to your list?

3. Graphic design of a new Linuxmce Logo

Open to everyone with the best design winning? Might be better on it's own thread/sticky!

I will look into a joomla implementation mock up so we can see what people think.

Barney

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:37 am »
Thom,
I think a cms like joomla is what is required. It allows for multiple authorised users to easily upload articles/news items and once in place does not rely on a web designer to maintain. I am not a php programmer but I have installed and used it.
I second that.Tryied Joomla myself and its amazing once the site is created. Users could be organized to write to each sections. That way the site could be daily updated, as work progresses. I am also no programmer but have a lot of IT knowledge and I just love hardware:)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »
Guys,

may I quote Thom:
I'd rather see more action, and less talk, as this is something that is critical, and we can take the approach of systematically improving things as time goes on, but we need people willing to do the work, and to just do it.

It is not about talking about a tool. It is about doing it! Get it done, with whatever tool you like, show it, and be prepared to maintain it.

Nobody really cares if it is Joomla, Wordpress, Notepad or sed

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »
Guys,
It is not about talking about a tool. It is about doing it! Get it done, with whatever tool you like, show it, and be prepared to maintain it.
Nobody really cares if it is Joomla, Wordpress, Notepad or sed

I am going away for a weekend. When i am back, May 4th I can try to make a preview of Joomla. b4rney, I would love to assist You with it, You drop me a PM so we can arrange something. Hope to get it rolling in a few days. I will try to come up with a Categorization of website while i am on vacation. See You soon guys, hope on new LinuxMCE main site ;D ;)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:39:46 pm »
I will look into a joomla implementation mock up so we can see what people think.

Barney

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:21:39 pm »
joomla is no option, I can offer typo3.

Btw, http://staging.linuxmce.org/ is the actual page in typo3. Some guy was also working on a new design, but no sign of life recently.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »
Hari,
Just to clarify ...
We are very flexible in terms of (1), and would love to see real working ideas for site layout, and page design.

... but it must be typo3?

Regards
Barney

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:53:38 pm »
Hari,
Just to clarify ...

... but it must be typo3?

Regards
Barney
define must be, but our hoster (abaton.at) is typo3 expert, so I'd really prefer to use that one. And with the recent fun of our commercial integrators with joomla, you need to convince me :-)

But as tschak said, those who do decide.. :-)

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:49 pm »
OK. Thanks for clearing that up Hari.

I'll look at typo3 too.
Barney

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:46:13 am »
Hi.

I Agree with Hari on this one.
It´s "really" just small differences between typo3 and joomla.
In my opinion it´s mostly about how you administer it and what modules that exist.
Both of them are pretty well developed and their strengths and weaknesses.

Look at www.cmsmatrix.org and compare the two.

Since we already have a staging site built upon typo3 why not
continue to develop it to finally replace our existing website.

I believe we also have some newer graphics. Have seen some examples.
Though I don´t know if can use them in any way.

Personally I can help with administration but not with graphics since I know almost
nothing about how to create decent looking pictures and layouts.

Only my view on this question.

/niz23

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »
Thanks for the info niz23. That comparison site is awesome. Looks like Typo3 is every bit as flexible and modular as any other cms so I'll install it and play around.

Do any mods/developers object to a new thread asking for a new lmce logo for the new look site? I'm sure we've got some decent graphics designers amongst our members. Failing that, niz23 mentioned some newer graphics. Anyone got more info?
Barney

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:15:39 pm »
Thanks for the info niz23. That comparison site is awesome. Looks like Typo3 is every bit as flexible and modular as any other cms so I'll install it and play around.

Do any mods/developers object to a new thread asking for a new lmce logo for the new look site? I'm sure we've got some decent graphics designers amongst our members. Failing that, niz23 mentioned some newer graphics. Anyone got more info?
Barney

I'm not opposed to getting some ideas on a new logo...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:25:05 pm »
oddly enough, I think our logo is the ONE piece of graphic art that translates well.

Did you look at the Logo page on the wiki?

-Thom

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:14:48 am »
Maybe a blend of old and new? With a tag line?

Just gimped a logo blending the one in the wiki. Just for fun!