Author Topic: Gizmo-Asterisk-Google Voice  (Read 7846 times)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Gizmo-Asterisk-Google Voice
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:30:47 pm »
Has anyone tried this out: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=605  ?

If so, please provide feedback...

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gizmo-Asterisk-Google Voice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 11:39:31 pm »
I think your going to have a tough time with this one.  Only people who got in under the wire for the original Google Voice program would be able to try.   I suspect that when(if) the program reopens they'll probably lock down this loop hole.

Mr Mole

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
Yes I have set this up and it does indeed work quite well. If you are in the middle of watching a movie with the volume up the ring can scare the crap out of you though. I don't have it setup right now, the pc I was using wasn't quite powerful enough but when I purchase a new barebones kit to put together I will post more on it if you'd like. The only problem I had was having to use google voice to make my outbound calls. But what do you want for free phone service?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »
Yes I have set this up and it does indeed work quite well. If you are in the middle of watching a movie with the volume up the ring can scare the crap out of you though. I don't have it setup right now, the pc I was using wasn't quite powerful enough but when I purchase a new barebones kit to put together I will post more on it if you'd like. The only problem I had was having to use google voice to make my outbound calls. But what do you want for free phone service?

Please definitely post your set up on the wiki. Thanks!

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:35 pm »
Well happily I stand corrected. :)

Mr Mole

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »
I went and did a search in the wiki, the setup instructions for using gizmo is already there. I'll update the wiki with my findings soon enough. When there is a will to do something there is a way.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:18 pm »
I went and did a search in the wiki, the setup instructions for using gizmo is already there. I'll update the wiki with my findings soon enough. When there is a will to do something there is a way.

Thanks!

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:30:13 pm »
I don't know anything about this, but the possibility for using asterisk at home has been very tempting for a number or years...

The guys on slickdeals post something this AM about upcoming changes:  http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1480557

Looks like the install scripts are there as well- anyone know if this means anything- especially for those of us in the US without an ISP that offers cheap/any VOIP service?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
I don't see any updates beyond what we already know in that forum posts. los93sol has been working on asterisk and has made some great strides in furthering the LinuxMCE capabilities of asterisk. los93sol , it might time to give an update on what you've been working on...

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 06:46:09 pm »
I have this setup and mostly working.  The problem with this setup is that Google Voice does not pass DTMF tones so inbound callers cannot navigate our LinuxMCE IVR.  We have the same problem when the house calls us with security alerts, etc., we then cannot navigate the through the IVR prompts.

The setup was not overly difficult, but is not free of problems either.  The voice quality is good and it is 'mostly' seamless minus a few quirky things like outbound calls being routed to a parking lot where he lot number is announce music is played for a few quick seconds, then finally the call is connected.  All in all I would say it is an acceptable solution considering it is completely free inbound and outbound calling anywhere in the US.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:23 pm »
los93sol , assuming this wiki is not the current process, could please update it?

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gizmo

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:15:46 am »
Until it fully works I don't want to post anything to the wiki on this as it prevents LinuxMCE from really doing what it is supposed to with your phones.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 08:22:12 am »
No problem.

cadman97

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »
I hope we can get it working without Gizmo.  I had the above working on my PIAF server for the office, and then had to do the current way which eliminates Gizmo, since they now charge for working with google voice.... New way works awsome...

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »
I'm not using mine with Gizmo now, I use GV + Sipgate