Author Topic: Established Kubuntu Server  (Read 2021 times)

chuy08

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Established Kubuntu Server
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:54:26 pm »
Currently I have an established Kubuntu Gusty server that is acting as a DNS, DHCP, Samba, NFS, apache, and mysql for my small home network.  This machine houses all of my pictures and other personal docs so they can be accessible from any computer in my small home network.

Because I have pictures and movies already on this box what would happen if I just ran the LinuxMCE installer over the top of this guy.  Would it function as needed or totally destroy the settings/configuration that I have worked on to build up my home server.

In a perfect world I could install LinuxMCE on this machine and turn it into my Media Center box as well as it continue to function as my file server for my home network.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Established Kubuntu Server
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:28:46 pm »
If you do the DVD install, it will wipe out everything, pictures and all on the isntallation drive.

If you do the cd install on top if Kubuntu 7.10, you will probably run into issues if it is not a clean installation and has already received updates. Since you mentioned you have the server version of gutsy, I am not sure what other problems you might run into.

Your best bet would probably to get another machine to test it out and get a feel for it, then when your ready, backup everything off of your cirrent server and install LMCE. You can then migrate your data to it once finished.