Author Topic: Newbie with some basic questions  (Read 5106 times)

mce_in_catford4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Newbie with some basic questions
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:54:57 pm »
Hi,
I have fianlly got my LinuxMCE Core/Hybrid system up and more or less working.

I have tried various methods of controling it (XDA mobile didn't work, WII remote kinda worked but was no good)
I finally setteled on using a windows Media Centre controler plugged into a USBUIRT
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB_UIRT
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Windows_MCE_Remote
(Mines the 2nd from the left, 1039)

I have a windows Media Centre PC as my television which I have been using for years. I am trying to use LinuxMCE instead. I am hoping someone here can answer some basic questions reguarding usage.

1. When you are watching a recorded program and you have finished with it and want to delete it how do you do it? In Windows MCE you simply press the 'i' button on the remote which brings up a context menu. It has options like program info, restart and delete. I can't find any equilivant in LinuxMCE. The only way I can see to delete a program is by going to the recorded programs finding the program you want to delete and pressing delete. There must be a quicker way to delete what is currently being watched.

2. When I select a program to record I like it to start this 5 mins before the air time and finsih 10 mins after. I know how to set this manually for each recording. Does anyone know how to make this automatic?

Any help would be apreaciated.
Thanks
Robert

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with some basic questions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »
Hello, and welcome :)

1. We currently do not have a delete after recorded program feature implemented. But this could be implemented with some work inside HADesigner.

2. This is the first time i've ever seen anyone ask for this feature. It would need to be implemented depending on the PVR you selected. Perhaps somebody well versed with MythTV or VDR could help here?

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »
2. When I select a program to record I like it to start this 5 mins before the air time and finsih 10 mins after. I know how to set this manually for each recording. Does anyone know how to make this automatic?

This is default behaviour in the PVR VDR that people in the DVB world can use. It is a setup option there, where you specify the amount of buffer at the beginning and end of a recording. Very helpful.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:08:51 pm »
I have tried various methods of controling it (XDA mobile didn't work, WII remote kinda worked but was no good)

Which version of the XDA did you try? I have mine working, it is a XDAIIi (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/XDAIIi)

mce_in_catford4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »
I have the o2 xda orbit 2.

I tried with the standard Java virtual machine and I got an error message. (Unhandled Java error)
I then installed midlet manager which is a diffrent java virtual machine. When I run it in this VM I get JSR082.
Aparantly this is a bluetooth error that comes up when the VM dosn't support bluetooth. Aparantly pocketPC mobile phones are not good at supporting bluetooth.
One of my old mobile phones is an XdaIIi. I'll dust it off and have a go and see what that comes up with.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:22 pm »
are you trying to do this via Bluetooth using JavaMO?

I use the Window CE.Net version over Wifi

on the front page of the LMCE admin page click on the 'Download Orbiter, Utilities and other software' link.
download the version that is right for you from the list:

Processor Operating system   
Intel/AMD x86 (normal) Windows 98/ME/XP (Download)
XScale Windows CE.NET (Download)
Intel x86 Windows CE.NET (Download)
Import Outlook Contacts Windows 98/ME/XP (Download)
Outlook sync utility Windows XP (download)
Pluto Backup & Share (see Wiki help) Windows XP (download)
Pluto Switcher Windows XP (download)

either the Xscale windows CE.Net or the Intel x86 Windows CE.NET version, I can't remember which, I would have to look up the processor.  transfer it to your device (or download direct to the device) and the run it.  with the XDAIIi version it tells you it is for the wrong version of Windows CE but works anyway.  try it

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »
The Windows Smartphone 2005 orbiter should work.

-Thom

mce_in_catford4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:44:55 am »
Hi,

I clearly should have joined these forums a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of time.
XScale Windows CE.NET (Download)  has installed perfectly on my Obrit 2.
I have to get the wireless passwords working but It's a step in the right direction.
Thanks for your help with the orbiter.

I had a look at the HADesigner. Looks involved. I would have thoght it was a common thing. Normally on my media centre I watch a program then when I have watched it I delete it. Having delete as an option on the contect menu would be useful as I would use it every time I finished watching a program. I'm going to look into the HADesigner when I have more time.

Thanks again
Robert

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:47:39 am »
Do a search for HADesigner Screencasts, to get my screencasts on Designer.

-Thom

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:09 am »
I clearly should have joined these forums a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of time.
XScale Windows CE.NET (Download)  has installed perfectly on my Obrit 2.
I have to get the wireless passwords working but It's a step in the right direction.
Thanks for your help with the orbiter.

I would dig out that old XDAIIi and set it up as well.  You can never have too many touch screen orbiters.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:31 am »
guys, do you not realise, that you can also run the Windows Smartphone 2005 mobile orbiter on that phone as well?

-Thom

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:32:03 am »
I did not realise that.  What are the benefits of that over using the windows CE based orbiter?  I guess Follow me would work then and it would be a registered phone so security features would work if there was an active sim card in it.  Anything else?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:40 am »
Correct.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »
I have the o2 xda orbit 2.

I tried with the standard Java virtual machine and I got an error message. (Unhandled Java error)
I then installed midlet manager which is a diffrent java virtual machine. When I run it in this VM I get JSR082.
Aparantly this is a bluetooth error that comes up when the VM dosn't support bluetooth. Aparantly pocketPC mobile phones are not good at supporting bluetooth.
One of my old mobile phones is an XdaIIi. I'll dust it off and have a go and see what that comes up with.
I have the original o2 XDA Orbit running Windows Mobile 6.

I have tried installing the "standard" orbiter via bluetooth following the onscreen instructions, and all appears to be well, until I run the orbiter program. This gives me a blank screen, and crashes the phone.

I have also tried the XScale Windows CE.NET orbiter as suggested by Techstyle, which gave me a lot more success in that it ran and I was able to see the initial log screen, but was unsure what to do next. Am I right in saying this will only work over wifi, and not bluetooth?

Unfortunately, the wifi on my phone is knackered, so I am limited to bluetooth - does anybody have any suggestions please?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:03:14 pm »
we need windows developers to build the windows toolchain and all the orbiters for our various targets, not just win32, but CE, Mobile, and Smartphone too.

-Thom