Author Topic: Security Breach Event, triggered by IP Cams  (Read 3893 times)

fido

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Security Breach Event, triggered by IP Cams
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:40:57 pm »
Anyone here using ip cameras for secruity purposes to detect movement ?

On my 0710 setup, the only way i can get the security breach event to trigger is to set the "Disarmed" mode in the active sensors list to "Security". If i set this to "Do Nothing" but set the other modes i.e. Armed Away, Armed At Home, Sleeping etc to "security" the event is never triggered.

Obviously what i would wish to do is to set the Disarmed mode to do nothing, and set the other modes to Security and have the security breach event only trigger when the house is armed....as you would with a real alarm system.

I found the following thread that seemed to imply the same problem but doesnt reach a conclusion ( http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2631.0)

Given the lack of posts on this topic, i can only assume the same problem is not being encountered by many others..so either its a local problem to me or not too many people appear to be using this feature....anyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:43:10 pm by fido »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Security Breach Event, triggered by IP Cams
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »
IP cameras must be paired with external motion sensors.

-Thom

fido

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:16 pm »
Thom, is there a hard reason for this....
Seems like i can get half way there...i.e. with only an ip camera the event can be triggered just not in the right circumstances.

Motion sensors tend to be reasonably expensive and if we could get it to work with just the cam and motion it would be a more flexible solution.

I am more or less finished up on the enqueue and playlist re-arranging items ( just have to setup the patch etc ) and if you think this is something that can be solved i can perhaps give it a go.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
modifying the motion wrapper would get you what you needed....but honestly, like I said... external sensors are far more reliable.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:50:29 pm »
I'm in the process of setting up IP cameras now.  Will it at least record motion that it detects if you don't have a sensor?  I only purchased 1 zwave motion detector.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »
No, any motion sensing has to be done by an external sensor.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Ok, so since I want it to always record motion, I need to make sure I purchase cameras that have both an actual web server that serves jpg images (and not that motion-jpeg crap on cheap ip cams, I did get it to 'work' using mplayer and a cron job though), and can support FTP uploads on motion detection.  Then I need more zwave motion sensors.  So the cost just went up dramatically.

fido

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:12:08 pm »
i am pretty sure that my camera is recording any motion detected and putting the files into /home/cameras

I am at work for the next few hours so cant confirm but as i say i do think they are recording all right when motion is detected.

Obviously to get this you have to add the camera as a child of motion wrapper.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:40 pm »
Agreed, I had checked on this at one point too.  The Camera will save stills of detected motion, but will not trigger alarms.  If I remember I'll check on this tonight an update this post with the exact location.