Author Topic: linuxmce won't start  (Read 3796 times)

boardgame

• View Profile
linuxmce won't start
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:32 am »
i did a fresh install of kubuntu.  then i installed the cd's

my problem is if i click on linuxmce the control manager comes up but nothing happens..  I tried starting the services but the same.. only gives me a option to stop the services..  The avwizard just never comes up.  I tried to start it through command but command tells me does not exist.  i have looked all over the internet and can't find anything.  I have a ati 4850 with ati's latest drivers and the fxgle driver installed.. could ati be the problem.  I'm really about to give up on this i've been at it for a week.  also my ati hdmi audio does't work.. it sees it but no sound i checked if it was muted and it wasn't.. i even disabled my onboard audio so it would just default to ati. i read that just set hda ati hdmi and the audio will work.. don't understand why it isn't working.

and linuxmce killed my wireless card.. it sees it but i can't see any networks.. i even reinstalled knetworkmanager.  I have ralink RT2860.  it was working before the linuxmce install.

Guys your my last resort i really want this up and running but im starting to lose faith.

by the way im a complete noob with linux.. just a big fan of HTPCs and am tired of vista media center.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: linuxmce won't start
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:43:24 pm »
Hi boardgame,

I'm just trying to get a little more information.

Did you md5sum the .iso files you downloaded?

Did you download 32bit or 64 bit versions?

What version of Kubuntu did you install?

When you installed CD's did you choose dedicated core or core/hybrid? (It sounds like you've selected core/hybrid.)

Did you use this link http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide?

Thanks, please be patience the community is here to help.

Cheers.

boardgame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:45:10 pm »
md5sum passed,

I downloaded 32bit,

kubuntu 710 gusty dvd live cd

i choose dedicated.. don't want no dhcp..  single pc to use as a media center.  but after i clicked services it started to install stuff.. i think i started the dhcp again along with media director.. but not sure about media director i dont' believe it is installed. dhcp def installed itself because the computer renamed itself to that router name.

yea i used it.. i also really checked out my hardware before i started the only piece i wasn't sure was the ati card.

I really want this if anyone has any idea please let me know.. it would be much appreciated.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »
Hi boardgame,

Choosing dedicated does not have anything to do with dhcp.

A dedicated core (even core/hybid) runs dhcp server, mysql server, etc..

Your standalone core system should have two NIC cards.  One to connect to the outside world (internet) and one to service your internal LMCE LAN network (MD's).

If you are trying to set this up on only one PC you must choose core/hybrid.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »
Oh,

Wireless networking is another problem.  You'll want to search for how other people got wireless adapters to work.

Unfortunately it is much easier going hardwired ethernet.

boardgame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »
Yea i want to just use this as a single pc.. don't need to connect to any other pc or control anything in the house just want a good media center to watch all my movies.. yea i may have picked the wrong install..  but even if i did either one of them should start avwizard..  maybe i can reinstall the cd's.. will that work.. i don't think it installed the avwizard can't find it in the directory..  maybe i will wait for linuxmce on kubuntu 9.01 to come out i heard it will be like in a month or so.. and i know all my hardware works perfect on ubuntu 9.01.

i guess i will try to reinstall the cd's tonight.. someone yell at me if i can't do that.. or maybe i should just use the dvd install.. i did that the first time around and av wizard started and went crazy.  but that was before i knew anything.. i feel much better with the command line now that i have been trouble shooting for over a week.  and knowing what i know now i think i can get the dvd to work.  just don't like the idea that linuxmce will be the first to start up and that it installs all that extra stuff that i won't use.

what do you guys think i should do.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:24:15 pm »
After installing 0710 kubuntu....DO NOT INSTALL ANY UPDATES! if you do you will have problems.
Go directly to the CD lmce install.

Better yet use the LMCE DVD which includes kubuntu 0710

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:18:28 pm »
Hi boardgame.

I'd have to agree with tkmedia, use the LinuxMCE DVD.

It will install itself as a core/hybrid...that's what you need on a single system setup.

Cheers.

boardgame

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:36 am »
you guys are right i am going to go and install the dvd version.. if that doesn't work im going to throw my ghost image of windows back on and wait for the new release of linuxmce to hit because i had no isssues with ubuntu 9.01 on that computer everything worked on first boot it was great.

I thank you all for your help.. as a windows user i felt that this was a good experience for me i learned a lot and i don't feel so lost in the command line anymore.