Author Topic: A little help needed not sure if I'm in the right area.  (Read 6674 times)

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
A little help needed not sure if I'm in the right area.
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:19:50 am »
Okay first off I'm a linux novice but hey this project looks awesome so thank you all for all the hard work you have done.

I haven't really had any problems with the installation of the system it's more I can't seem to get the system to detect my video card. It detects the onboard card perfectly but I can't get it to allow me to disable the onboard video and let it go to my other card.

ANY Help would be appreciated.

My system specs are:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Burner: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
RAM: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
VID: SAPPHIRE 100272L Radeon HD 2400PRO 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
TUNER: PVR-150
CPU: Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E2180 - Retail

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: A little help needed not sure if I'm in the right area.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:05:18 pm »
Hi ace195,

Are you doing VGA/DVI/etc out in both cases?

What happens when you boot with the card?

You may want to look at your xorg.conf file.

Did you see this wiki...

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 02:13:49 pm by pigdog »

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:48 pm »
Hi ace195,

Are you doing VGA/DVI/etc out in both cases?  I'm trying to go VGA at the moment while I'm setting up the system then I'm going to be going DVI to HDMI to my television until I finish my basement then it will be a DVI to DVI connector to my projector.

What happens when you boot with the card?I tried loading the video from the card initially but my screen stayed black so I switched to the onboard card.

You may want to look at your xorg.conf file. <-- I'm going to have to learn how to do this so that might take me a while.

Did you see this wiki...
I'm going to read this if I have any other problems I'll repost I really appreciate your reply!!
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Cheers.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:34:46 pm »

From  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Note that the only thing really specific to my setup in this config file is BusID, if you only have one graphics adapter in your system this value can be omitted, otherwise the value(s) can be found with:

X -scanpci

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »
Seriously, get an nVidia card, as per all the suggestions.... they are far better supported. Even the onboard Intel 945 chipset you have is better supported for video! Perfectly adequate for UI2masking in SD resolutions, only issue could be crashing from the screen saver which can be disabled. But first preference is nVidia.

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »
I was actually thinking about that I stole the video card from one of my dads computers..

I think I will pony up for the NVIDIA card and put this ATI Card in my server.

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
Seriously, get an nVidia card, as per all the suggestions.... they are far better supported. Even the onboard Intel 945 chipset you have is better supported for video! Perfectly adequate for UI2masking in SD resolutions, only issue could be crashing from the screen saver which can be disabled. But first preference is nVidia.

On that same note of my onboard card. I can't get it to do UI2 when going through the setup. During the setup when it asks if you can see the video and hear the audio. I can hear the audio but the video isn't shown. But when I switch to the KDE desktop I can find the video and then see it.

Any suggestions. I would love to make this a simple process and not need another video card so that I can use this card in a server.

--Sorry for the second post--

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »
You are choosing the mid-range UI aren't you? Not the blended UI. It should be fine, not sure if going with the UIBlended first may have screwed something up... perhaps check the Display Drivers wiki under the Intel section for tips. Other than that, you could just drop the DVD back in and rebuild.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:02:12 am »
I can't get it to allow me to disable the onboard video and let it go to my other card.
r.

Have you gone into the bios to disable the onboard video?
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:04:19 am »
You are choosing the mid-range UI aren't you? Not the blended UI. It should be fine, not sure if going with the UIBlended first may have screwed something up... perhaps check the Display Drivers wiki under the Intel section for tips. Other than that, you could just drop the DVD back in and rebuild.

That sir would probably be my problem! I am back in town tonight and I'm going to give this the old college try again!!

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:42:23 pm »
So turns out the reason my PCI video card wasn't working was because it's fried. Good thing it's new and I can still RMA it.

The onboard video is working like a champ with the UI2 blending on medium and I'm working on getting everything else setup with Myth and the rest of my initial setup.

Although I keep running into an issue after I make a change in myth and it runs through the setup my computer freezes and I have to hard boot.  I'm still a linux novice is there a way to end task and reboot or is do I have to flip the switch and reboot?