Author Topic: Trouble Getting 2.6.22-14 Source  (Read 4758 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Trouble Getting 2.6.22-14 Source
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:34:44 pm »
I'm in as sudo and command:
apt-get install linux-source
is failing.  The following is the reply:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-source
root@dcerouter:/usr/src#

Any suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:12:12 pm by rocketlynx »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Getting 2.6.22-14 Source
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »
Sorry, can't help you, I've no idea what you are trying to do!

Why are you trying to install the kernel sources? This is the installation issues forum - the task you are describing has nothing to do with installing LMCE, so should not be in this forum. If you are trying to build a dev environment, then this should be in the developers forum, and you shouldn't be trying to install that kernel, it is only used for 0710 which is now long frozen - no further dev work is being accepted, you need to build an 0810 environment for development... there is a wiki article on how to do this....

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »
Colin, thanks for the quick reply.. I'm simply trying to get my diskless media director, an M3N78-EM up and running.  I've posted several times on that forum topic but I'm not getting it it.  I'm totally lost but I love LinuxMCE and what i've got running so far.  If you'll look at the forum topic M3N78-EM then maybe you might be able to help me.

I thought I needed to download the source to get the NIC (r8168), and the On-Board Video nvidia 8300 working.  I'm running, at this point, 710rc2 with the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel.

If you can help me, please continue on the proper forun topic, of which I have posted several times, and kill (delete) this topic if you want to.

Thanks for your quick reply,

Charles

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:20 am »
pm me and i'll email you the r8168.ko driver if you do not have it.

on the Core do this:

place the r8168.ko file in the drivers folder: /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
if the r8168.ko file was on your desktop, this is the code:
Code: [Select]
sudo cp ~/Desktop/r8168.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko
rename the bad driver so Linux does not use it

sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko.not
Then we prepare for the initial boot of the MD:
sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/moduleschange the driver listed to r8168 (just r8168, no .ko)
save it (ctrl-O i think) and exit

then do:

sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.shand
mkinitramfs -d /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/ -o /tftpboot/default/initrd
-----

Now PXE boot the MD, it will anounce itself and do some other stuff. just walk away for like 10 minutes and come back. Turn off the MD as it will be hung at its current screen.

If you have multiple media directors, you will need to look in the admin panel to see what ID the new MD was assigned to use below.

While you are checking the ID, make sure it is i386 and not AMD64 on the MD properties page. If it is not i386, change it to i386, save and rebuild the image. Wait until you are told the image was rebuilt.

now continue below

-----

sudo nano /usr/pluto/diskless/<mediadirector-id>/etcdo the same as you did above and change it to r8168

again on this file:

sudo nano /usr/pluto/diskless/<mediadirector-id>/etc/initramfs-tools
now copy the driver file to the media director in question:

sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko /usr/pluto/diskless/<mediadirector-id>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko
rename the bad drive on the MD image so it is not used

sudo mv /usr/pluto/diskless/<mediadirector-id>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko /usr/pluto/diskless/<mediadirector-id>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko.not
then perform this, each line is its own command
cd /usr/pluto/diskless/
sudo chroot <mediadirector-id>
sudo depmod
cd /boot
sudo mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-`uname -r` `uname -r`
exit
note that the ` used for `uname -r` `uname -r` is from the tilde (~) key

Once this is finished, the MD should now boot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:45:57 am by Pnuts »

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:45:26 am »
i forgot 2 steps i just added. I appologize if you already started.

you can start from the top again if you did and it should not effect anything repeating the steps you've already done.

-Pnuts

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:17:05 am »
On the video issue, see my post in the other thread...

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:13:22 am »
Pnuts, I did everything successfully up to booting the MD.  It booted to the point of this message:

ipconfig: no devices to configure
/init:  .:1: Can't open .tmp/net-eth0.conf
[    3.576000] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I assume I'm not suppose to create the MD my self, is that correct? If so, it did not get to the part to announce itself to the router.  Nor did it create an MD in Admin or in the diskless directory.  What am I missing?  all the previous commands on the Konsole seemed to execute correctly.

Charles

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 02:19:54 am »
I also checked that the r8168.ko file is in /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/  and that the original r8169.ko is renamed to r8169.ko.not.

Forgot  to mention that in my original reply.

Charles

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:22:04 am »
hmm, i didnt think it was needed here but do:

sudo depmod
then do:

sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
and

sudo mkinitramfs -d /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/ -o /tftpboot/default/initrd
then try to boot the md again
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:34:26 am by Pnuts »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:45:06 am »
Pnuts, - No Luck!  I did the sudo depmod and then the sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh, then sudo mkinitramfs -d /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/ -o /tftpboot/default/initrd.  All executed without errors.  Then I rebooted and the MD stops at same point stated earlier in this thread.  No MD Created.  I created an MD manually set it as i386, insured the Ip and Mac address are correct and same error.  I then checked the moon info... /usr/pluto/diskless/68/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ directory and found that it contained r8169.ko, did a modinfo and it was the original one referencing r8168.  There was no r8168.ko file present.  I also checked the initramfs-tools/modules file and it WAS correct containing r8168 as it should.  I then replaced the modified r8169.ko file with a hacked version with NO reference to r8168, and then added the missing r8168.ko driver.

I then reloaded the router, rebooted the MD and got the same error, at the same stopping point as if nothing has changed.
I'm totally stumped.

I have a clean LinuxMCE 710rc2 install.  the core/hybrib is a
ASUS P4P800E
Pentium 4
2gb RAM
nvidia GE6400
2 NICs (1 on-board & 1 PCI)
On-board sound
120gb IDE
SATA DVD Drive
(all working properly and the Firewall is disabled for now to insure it's no a problem)

1 Orbiter on a Dell Vista Laptop working properly (Wireless)

1 Diskless MD

Older ASUS MB
1gb RAM
nvidia Graphics
(all working properly)

1 CM11A on core serial port comm1 with approx 15 devices working properly
If I install a Intel based NIC in a PCI slot of the new M3N78-EM computer, I can boot and create and MD automatically, and get past this crap but then it stops at the X-server problem and I have to then deal with the nvidia updated driver to fix that.
I would like to conquer this r8168 glitch and not have to use any PCI boards in the MD because it seems that others have faced this and achieved a working r8168 NIC.

Was the wiki information on this r8168 done on710 or an earlier version of Linuxmce or before kernel 2.6.22-14-generic?

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »
rocketlynx -

This worked on my M3N78-VM MD's (same ethernet chipset):

All steps performed on the MD itself

1. Boot using the pci nic.
2. Upgrade your kernel to 2.6.28 or later following the wiki instructions. Make sure to build Realtek PHY support into the kernel (Device Drivers->Network Device Support->PHY Device support and infrastructure->Drivers for Realtek PHYs). I put it directly in the kernel, not as a module.
3. Update vmlinuz and initrd.img symlinks per the wiki instructions for kernel upgrades on MD's.
4. Shutdown and remove pci nic.
5. Reboot using NVIDIA workaround with driver 180.29

Unfortunately, rebuilding the kernel on the core and copying it to the diskless image archive won't work because you need the kernel sources for whatever new kernel you build in order to use the NVIDIA workaround.

Hope this helps,
Matt

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 07:10:06 pm »
qball4 - Thanks for the info...

May I ask this, since I'm new to Linux/LunuxMCE?  So you work from the Diskless MD after it Announces itself to the core and fails to complete the boot by logging in to the moon# with a console.  If so, I've failed logging when using a seperate PCI NIC because there must be an unknown moon# user id/password of which is unknown to me.  I tried the default linucmce user/password of linuxmce/linuxmce, that's used on the core's Konsole and it failed, also the only other user id/password I know of which is the first user default of my name charles/charles, used in the linuxmce admin area.  When the MD, upon initial creation is stuck it asks for a moon# user id and password, is there a default? I've searched the wikis and forum topics.

Also, does this mean that after completion, this particular diskless MD is running on an updated kernel to allow the workaround needed by this MB's architechture and the core is still running on the original, 710rc2, 2.6.22-14-generic kernel? 

Thanks,
Charles

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 02:12:02 pm »
You can ssh as root into the MD without a password.

sudo ssh moon#
will get you to a shell

You are correct - the MD and core will operate with different kernels.

:Matt