Author Topic: Can I use LMCE firewall to block the internet?  (Read 3840 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Can I use LMCE firewall to block the internet?
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:20 am »
I'd like to be able to block specific desktops (not MDs) from accessing the internet.  I realize I can do it on the desktop itself, but I'd really like to do it via LMCE.  I tried a couple things on the firewall page, and did a bit of searching that didn't turn up anything.  Is this possible?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use LinuxMCE firewall to block the internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:30:37 am »
it is quite possible, but not with the web admin. its linux running iptables underneath so it can do pretty much whatever you want, but youll hafta get dirty with config files and shell scripts.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:03 pm »
I did some searching before I posted the question.  Nothing really addressed the question of blocking an internal device from the Internet, but there were warnings not to go fiddling with iptables outside the LMCE firewall config page.

Sounds like I'll need to do this on the desktop itself (caught my 10 year old son playing runescape after I told him not to, he alt-tabbed when I walked in proving he knew he was doing something on the Internet he knew he wasn't supposed to).

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:16 pm »
Why not just set that one web browser to use a proxy?  That way, you might have more configuration options about what to allow, rather than "on" or "off".  Then just hope he's not quite technically savvy enough to figure out how to switch that back to normal...

|eric|

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:36:30 am »
the iptable isnt that complicated
its only one line !
should look like :
iptables -A INPUT source  mask dest mask  -tcp -port portnumber
and delete is exacly the same execpt -D instead of -A

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »
Old topic but...  Docs say not to mess with iptables outside the web admin.  Not sure why, but generally when there is a warning in LMCE it's there for a reason - not following the warning can break stuff.