Author Topic: Discussion on true Multi-room Solution (continued)  (Read 36652 times)

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on true Multi-room Solution (continued)
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 05:13:24 am »
Andrew,

great news indeed.

Now, why not replacing xine as our audio player with softsqueeze?

That way, we might get near perfect sync more easily.

I don't think that xine can perform multicast streaming.  To my knowledge only vlc and maybe mplayer can do that.

VLC could probably offer uni/multicasting of audio/video and simultaneous streaming to a mp3 that a squeezebox can tune into

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:54 am »
Andrew,

great news indeed.

I don't think that xine can perform multicast streaming.  To my knowledge only vlc and maybe mplayer can do that.

VLC could probably offer uni/multicasting of audio/video and simultaneous streaming to a mp3 that a squeezebox can tune into

Posde idea is to replace the Xine for audio media playback with Softsqueeze...therefore moving all audio streaming clients to the same player software. this would automatically get us sync'd audio on the MD's and Squeezeboxes. Sounds like a very compelling proposition to me ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:59 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure how Softsqueeze could be used without GUI (but don't know it very well, so I believe there is an option of doing that)...

I'd just like to point out that Squeezeslave (different from SoftSqueeze, more command line oriented) at the moment is not a good option.

In my experience (I'm using it for second audio zone routed through Marantz receiver) that :
- every now and then you can hear a small hitch - like music freezes for a moment.
- it can crash on mono wav files (there is an option of recoding before it's played, but didn't yet figured out, how to do that properly). For instance, currently on 710, it dies on speech announcements...

I didn't test sync yet at all... I'm not sure what is relation of those two players and what part of code they share....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure how Softsqueeze could be used without GUI (but don't know it very well, so I believe there is an option of doing that)...

I'd just like to point out that Squeezeslave (different from SoftSqueeze, more command line oriented) at the moment is not a good option.

In my experience (I'm using it for second audio zone routed through Marantz receiver) that :
- every now and then you can hear a small hitch - like music freezes for a moment.
- it can crash on mono wav files (there is an option of recoding before it's played, but didn't yet figured out, how to do that properly). For instance, currently on 710, it dies on speech announcements...

I didn't test sync yet at all... I'm not sure what is relation of those two players and what part of code they share....

Regards,

Bulek.

Hi,

Softsqueeze will run 'headless' so that is not a problem in its own right. However Softsqueeze is written in Java so this might be an issue.

Squeezeslave 0.8 is also a possibility - thanks for the heads-up on the issues you have seen with this player.

The other possibility is to write a lightweight command line client to do the job. This might be the preferred route as it could be designed to do exactly what we require.

Anyway all of these options are being explored right now.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:18 am »
Andrew,

great news indeed.

Posde idea is to replace the Xine for audio media playback with Softsqueeze...therefore moving all audio streaming clients to the same player software. this would automatically get us sync'd audio on the MD's and Squeezeboxes. Sounds like a very compelling proposition to me ;-)

Andrew

How would that work?

Xine plays media and streams
-------
         | Media directors tune in to the stream
         | Squeezeboxes listen to stream via mms, rtsp, mp3?

I've been away from linuxmce for quite some time.

And yes squeezeslave works well.  I use it now to sync music from squeezecenter to my fm radios where I do not have squeezeboxes.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:56 am »
How would that work?

Xine plays media and streams
-------
         | Media directors tune in to the stream
         | Squeezeboxes listen to stream via mms, rtsp, mp3?

no. It would work the same way as it works with the hardware Squeezeboxes. We tell Squeezecenter to play a file on a Squeezebox (either hardware or software). Xine is not involved at all.
And yes squeezeslave works well.  I use it now to sync music from squeezecenter to my fm radios where I do not have squeezeboxes.

Good to hear.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »
This might already be known, but I thought that I might mention it anyway just in case it helps spawn a good idea.

We were entertaining some guests last night at the house and I wanted to play some music, so I kick on my favorite internet stream and start listening in my home theater room. We started to move to the back patio so I go to floorplan and bounce the stream to both the home theater and the back patio. Of course they turn out to be about 1-2 sec out of sync which was annoying. So I decided to just use my internet radio scenario from the home theater, then run the same scenario from the patio (instead of just pushing the stream using the floorplan). Low and behold when I just grab the stream from both MD's it was perfectly sync'd.

So people out there who are smarter than me... how come i can grab an internet stream from multiple MD's and they be in perfect sync, but i cant grab a network stream without it being out of sync by 1-2 seconds? Surely we can figure out a way to replicate the internet radio stream but do it inside our own network....
-Krys

Purplexus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »
Anyone else notice that Pulse audio has the ability to control multiple sound cards within the same Cpu? or was I reading that wrong??  Will pulse audio be able to send multiple different streams to multiple sound cards? as well as have the ability to sync multiple streams to multiple sound cards?  Potentially this is the same thing as a Matrix Switch and essentially a switch in which I get to control the Size of it. 

My kubuntu machine has pulse audio loaded and I have a sound blaster platinum live card kicking around I'll quickly do a test and check it out.  Unfortunately I am not sure I know exactly how to get it started in Linux so someone else may also want to test this out  Someone that will know what they are doing better then I do.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:17 am »
Guys, this isn't rocket science.

Write a media player that uses pulseaudio, have each zone as a child device of it. Use a plugin to coordinate the stream handling from the media plugin to the different zones.

-Thom

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »
As regards to the sync issue you can have the best software out there even the best hardware but remember travel distance I worked in Europe at a club known as Oceana and they wanted multi room sync and we fount out that no matter what hardware or software was used it was always sightly out of sync because of distance, think of how light travels (from the sun to say pluto we see the light on earth first before pluto) same would happen in rooms as cable gets longer or signal from the wireless router get weaker. best choice in connection would be to use optic with the same length and any left over needs to be coiled at the same distance on each cable and that is not perfect.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:10:23 pm by Riggs »
Dell XPS Gen5 P4 3.2Ghz 64 x2, 3Gbs Ram, GeForce 8600GT 1Gb VRam, Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LinuxMCE 10.04 32bit,, 2 Eth Cards, Comcast business 25Mbs/5Mbs. Zwave, X10, Vera 3.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 10:46:22 am »
Here we have a crappy B&O system and in all rooms it is sync.

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 12:16:11 pm »
The speed of light should not be a problem here, eh...

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
The speed of light should not be a problem here, eh...

The speed of light was used as an example to show everything travels at a speed.
Dell XPS Gen5 P4 3.2Ghz 64 x2, 3Gbs Ram, GeForce 8600GT 1Gb VRam, Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LinuxMCE 10.04 32bit,, 2 Eth Cards, Comcast business 25Mbs/5Mbs. Zwave, X10, Vera 3.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:25 am »
So this is very exciting news indeed!

Andrew
I'm telling this for over a year..

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 08:51:29 pm »
So this is very exciting news indeed!

Andrew
I'm telling this for over a year..

br Hari
Well, that post you're responding too is in fact more then a year old...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous