Author Topic: Using existing computer as Core? Hardware Requirements/Compatibility  (Read 2349 times)

spenge

• First post!
    • View Profile
Good Morning All,

I am relatively new to LinuxMCE and am starting to contemplate my first build. I am looking to set up a core first using as much as my existing computer as possible. I am under the impression (let me know if I am wrong) that if I have a dedicated core as long as the computer will run Kubuntu 0710 then the hardware will be suitable to use as my core. I may have misunderstood though.

I currently am running Ubuntu 0810, using:

Mobo: MSI 845PE Neo2
CPU: Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0GHz
RAM: 2Gb
NIC: DWL G520
Graphics Card: Radeon X850XT
HDD1: 250Gb Maxtor
HDD2: 500Gb Western Digital

I am hoping that I will be able to set up a dedicated core by adding an 80Gb HDD and a second NIC. I will probably move my existing HDD’s into a NAS or similar.

If the above isn’t viable then I will go back to the Wiki and use hardware mentioned on there. Just trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.

If you have any advice then I will be more than happy to hear it. Just a bit unsure of myself at the mo… ???

Thank you very much,

Dave

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Using existing computer as Core? Hardware Requirements/Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:45 am »
If you are already running Ubuntu, chances are you won't have any problems (unless your hardware is so new that it isn't supported as of Ubuntu 0710)

You should be able to drop in an extra nic and be good to go.

Also consider that you will likely want your core running 24/7, so a dual boot setup probably wouldn't be the best idea. A LMCE install does include Kubuntu desktop for basic computing needs, however.