Author Topic: which DVD to download? - Installed but no display.. :(  (Read 4614 times)

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
which DVD to download? - Installed but no display.. :(
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:57:54 pm »
Gurus,

I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750+ processor and Asus AM2+ Mobo..

so should i download i386 version or AMD64 version to install.. ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:33:57 am by rednus »

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: which DVD to download?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:11:40 pm »
im no guru, but it seems to be a unanamous answer to this question with i386.

Its more stable, almost everyone runs it (better community support) and there is no noticable performance gain by going to the 64bit version with LMCE.

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Installed i386.. but no display..
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:27 am »
Gurus,

I have installed I386 core version and after restart there is no display.. looks like X is struggling to startup.. Is it because Nvidia graphics? please help..

rednus

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: which DVD to download? - Installed but no display.. :(
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
you used the cd or DVD install?

If dvd, you probably need to press the correct button (1-5) if your not using vga to display out from the computer so it switches to what your using. see here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard_Step_by_Step#Section_II

If the CD, did you have video before you isntalled the LMCE portion? did you select Core only or hybrid? if hybrid the above info about the dvd applies.

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »
hi i have used the i386 dvd install.. the problem with pressing keys 1 to 5 is that it doesnt have HDMI and i am using that.. it did not work with 1to 5 or even 6 to 0.. :(

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:43:07 am »
how long are you waiting after you push one button before you press the next? I think it can take 5-10 seconds before the image comes up on the screen after pressing a new button.

For HDMI, I believe you should use the DVI choice which is 1. After waiting atleast 15 seconds, then press 8 to make sure the resolution is 720p. wait 15 more seconds and see if you have a picture. If not try 9 and then 0 for 1080i and 1080p to see if either of those come up. Remember to not press any other numbers so it remains with DVI selected.

Also, use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard. The numpad has no effect at all regardless of numlock if I remember right.

edit:

One last thing, if the HDMI is the only video source connected, do you atleast see the bios splash screen on the TV when you power on the computer?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:45:04 am by Pnuts »

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:48:58 am »
I am waiting about 15 to 20 seconds.. screen flickers with "no signal" message on tv.. but nothing comes up..

just to be sure that i am not doing it wrong.. when should i press the button "1".. is it after the display goes black?

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 01:53:31 am »
btw.. my mobo has both DVI and HDMI connectors.. :( its Asus M4N78 Pro..

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 02:08:10 am »
you hear a few tones/beeps during startup. After they end and the screen goes black would be the point at which you do this.

However, because your MB has both a DVI out and a HDMI out, your probably going to need some linux knowledge to get it to display out on the HDMI. I'm not sure how much help you will find because of the non-standard MB used.

If you have one handy, you could try a DVI to HDMI just to see if that works when using the method above to press #1. Alternatively, if your TV has a DVI or VGA port you could try an DVI to VGA adaptor or simply a DVI cable.

There might be another option, see if you can disable the DVI port in the BIOS? (doubtful, but you never know).

If you are dead set on using the HDMI port as is, I believe your going to have to edit the xorg.conf file, but someone a little more knowledgable with Linux and LMCE should probably jump in because at this point its going above my knowledge point.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:59 am »
post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files in Code blocks here...

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:31:43 am »
thanks a lot for all your support guys.. finally it did work.. but i had to install latest NVidia drivers and run nvidia-xconfig.. and finally edit the xort.conf file to change ConnectedDispalyType to "DFP"..

phew.. that took some time.. i was close to loose my will  ;)

but i am happy i made it..

need to work on sound now.. i think i need to install new alsa drivers also..

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:33:43 am »
Suggestion, make a copy of your xorg.conf file somewhere OFF your core, in case something edits/changes it (like AV Wizard) that way you can instantly get back to where you were!

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 04:42:14 am »
now i have the another problem.. if i boot up in safe mode and change runlevel to 3.. the kde starts up.. but if i boot up normally.. the stupid avwizard is not working again.. is there any script for av-wizard that i can change it to use hdmi/dvi instead of vga?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:49:09 am »
You need to be more careful! I just told you that AV Wizard would overwrite your xorg.conf!

Did you make the copy I suggested you make? If so, copy that back to your xorg.conf file. Now compare xorg.conf with xorg.conf.pluto.avwizardr (this is the file that the AV Wizard uses and is used as a template to overwrite the xorg.conf file, of course this will not have the changes you need to make it work!) So once you have worked out what key difference is you can edit the xorg.conf.pluto.avwizardr file to make it work. If you are not sure which change is the key change, you could make a copy of xorg.conf.avwizardr then copy your working xorg.conf file over the top of it.

Note, that as you have run AV Wizard it will likely have already blown away your working xorg.conf file, so you need to source the copy that I suggested you make. If you didn't make that copy then you will need to go through the process again, that you used to get a working copy in the first place.

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 05:05:26 am »
you are right colin.. i was a bit too excited.. after all those hours of struggle.. :( may be i wll find some time tomorrow.. i have to get some sleep for now..

cheers
rednus