Author Topic: Import metadata from 1 Linuxmce to another  (Read 3304 times)

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Import metadata from 1 Linuxmce to another
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:58 am »
 Is there a way that I can save my metadata from one linuxmce box to a new one or better yet can we all upload our (users) own metadata to a web storage. There has got to be a way to share this workload or import it. I know others have got the IMDB hack to work but, I can't get it to work it looks like it installs but, I can't figure out how to use it or where the added function to the web admin is. Any takers?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Import metadata from 1 Linuxmce to another
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:42:14 am »
Your metadata is stored, primarily, in the MySQL database on your core. If you reinstall, you can tell the install to retain this.

Moreover - all metadata for mp3 files is stored in id3 embedded tags within the mp3 file itself, and this meta data is read into the database from these tags when a new system is built... so you do nothing to achieve this. Metadata for all other media is stored in an id3 tag file, alongside the actual media file, with the same name (ie, mediafile.avi and mediafile.avi.id3), as long as you keep those files in the same locations, a new LMCE installation will read the metadata back in from them.

Only things like Playlists, etc are lost. But there is an import/export function for that now.

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:08:14 am »

Can one then create their own id3 tags for other media? And if so, what is the format or naming convention? Does it follow the same as MP3's since it referred to as an 'id3' tag?

Thx

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:53 am »
There is currently no tool for doing this other than adding the meta data in the Webadmin, which will then update/create the necessary id3 tag files. It quite possibly is just the embedded id3 tag structure, but is specific to LMCE, so there is no external tool. In the next release of LMCE there will be some additional features that make using the web admin to add meta data easier.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
If your metadata is in the database, then that information should exist in the id3 tags as well. For music files, this is in the internal id3 tags. For videos, you will see a <filename>.id3 file for each video file. If you copy all files, including the .id3 files to a new location all should be fine.

To make sure your id3 files are in sync with the database, just use the media files sync area in the web admin.

If your savvy with mysql, you could also dump the pluto_media table and re-import it on another box as well.

OldBob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:48 pm »
This thread appears to answer a query I wanted to make.   

Colin has reported (as I recall) elsewhere that re-installs are best made by keeping your media data on an NAS or the like.   I have been using the (similar approach) Software Raid of LMCE and this has survived many rebuilds except I always have to re-install my cover art for audio recorded in .ogg format yet video cover art is always recovered.   

The added "bulk update" features in 0710 make this a relatively easy task but I would rather avoid it if I could.   I keep the cover art in a folder on the Software Raid.   

As you all refer to the embedded id3 tag of mp3 files does this mean it is not possible to achieve this "automatic cover art audio update" outcome with the ogg format and mp3 is the recommended approach?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:56 pm »
0810 should handle cover.jpg for flac and ogg

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation