Author Topic: Wii Remote  (Read 6536 times)

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
Wii Remote
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:13:52 pm »
I have gone through the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Nintendo_WiiMote step by step and everything starts up after I reboot. Nothing happins unless I start wminput from a command line. I have gone back to check the mac address in wminputd.conf to see if i made a typo and it matches the output of hcitool scan. Kbluetooth is set for connectable. Do I need to change this to discoverable?
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Remote
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »
Hi,

When everything is setup and running you put the wiimote into discoverable.

Kbluetooth is the application for the bluetooth device.  In KDE desktop a bluetooth icon should be running in the taskbar.

Cheers.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:27:10 pm »
Hi,

When everything is setup and running you put the wiimote into discoverable.

Kbluetooth is the application for the bluetooth device.  In KDE desktop a bluetooth icon should be running in the taskbar.

Cheers.

The Kbluetooth is running. I put the wiimote into discoverable mode by pressing the 1&2 buttons and the icon wont change to blue indicating it has recognized it. unless I goto a command prompt and type "wminput -c ir_ptr "mac address"'
ommiting the quotes and mac address with the real mac address. and then press 1&2 again.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »
I'm thinking I put this topic in the wrong forum. Should it be in the installation forum. Can it be moved over?

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
I created the config files and the initialization file in a text editor instead of VI. Does that make a differance?

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »
when i was playing around with the Wiimote thing, I think I used nano, so that shouldnt matter as long as it was edited within Linux and not on Windows

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
Hi,

Just to verify...

You have logged in as root (using sudo) before issuing the wminput -c ir_ptr "mac address" command?

The bluetooth icon should be "blue".  Name: dcerouter-0, address <MAC address of bluetooth dongle>,  receiving files: enabled, etc when you place your cursor over it?

Then when you issue the wminput command and place it into discoverable mode what message do you receive?

Cheers.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:07 pm »
This is being done on one of the MD's.

It is already logged in as root by default.

Before command (not blue)

adapter: moon 33-0
address: 00:02:72:11:45:63
mode: connectable
(not connected)

After command (turns blue)

adapter: moon 33-0
address: 00:02:72:11:45:63
connected to:
Nintendo RVL-CNT-01

After reboot have do it all over again.
and I did issue this command when setting it up (update-rc.d wminputd defaults)

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
Hi,

After a reboot of the MD you will have to put the wiimote back into discoverable mode.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:03:45 pm »
Ok, so it is working like it should. right?
I was thinking that after a boot you could just put the wiimote in discoverable mode and it would connect automatically without having to issue the command again.

Thax guys, for all the help. That cleared things up. I was banging my head on this. And reading post after post led me to a dead end.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:29:03 am »
Under Ubuntu using GDM not KDE the follwing was accomplished.

Using your Wii remote for watching DVDs, Elisa Media Center, Music Players, etc:

I've setup on my system 2 icons in my gnome panel that I can click on if I want to connect to my Wii Remote and use it's IR light tracking ability as a mouse, and the other to turn off the wminput daemon that I started on the other icon.

Right click on an empty part of the Gnome panel and select "Add to Panel...", then "Custom Application Launcher" then press the "+Add" button.

Type in a name for it, for the command, use this:

Code:

gksudo wminput -d -c ir_ptr <your wiimote's bluetooth address here>

For IR mode. If you want to use ACC (accelerometer mode) the command should be:

Code:

gksudo wminput <your wiimote's bluetooth address here>

The gksudo is important because if you use sudo only you won't see any prompt to type in your password, and in Intrepid it IS necessary to be root to activate wminput.

Select a nice icon for it if you wish, then press close.

To create another icon to kill all running wminput processes, do the same as above, but for the command use this:

Code:

gksudo killall wminput

Use gksudo here too because you might need to type in your password again.

The advantage of using these two icons to run wminput, is that you can turn off your Wii remote (by pressing and holding the power button on your Wii remote) when you start watching a DVD / listening to music to save battery power, then if you wish to start using your Wii remote again, simply press buttons 1 + 2 on your Wii remote and Ubuntu will automatically connect to your Wii remote again as before without having to pick up a keyboard or mouse to do so.

If you want to do something like the above you can figure it out for KDE.

This was a section in the following link...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=993376

Good luck.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:33:30 am »
Cool, thanx for the info

I'm not much of a programmer. I have not done any proggramming since the 80's. when it was just simple basic.
I would like to create a script or something to automatically start wminput.

Here is what i'm thinking.

1. wminput command starts up
2. you put wiimote in discoverable mode

When finished with wiimote
3. you push the power button on wiimote and it disconnects
4. Lets say 5 to 10 seconds later wminput starts back up waiting for you to activate wiimote

when you shutdown or reboot the command stops.
 Or has this been done already.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:50:57 am »
Nevermind, DUH, I just found the webpage to do exactly that. http://abstrakraft.org/cwiid/wiki/wminput

I wasn't looking at your command line to well and forgot to add the -d
works perfect now.

Thanx again!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:59:00 am by matrex »