Author Topic: Installation on dedicated core  (Read 2659 times)

silverarrow

• View Profile
Installation on dedicated core
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:59:22 am »
Hi,

My idea is to run a IBM eServer 205 as a dedicated core. Why I run the install DVD, the system seems to become a hybrid. What do I need to disable for the eserver to become a dedicated corE?

Rgds

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Installation on dedicated core
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
Hi,

When you install LMCE/Kubuntu 710 via DVD you can just turn off the media director in the Launch Manager window.

When you install LMCE/Kubuntu 710 via CD you get a choice to make it a dedicated Core or Core/Hybrid.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:52:21 pm »
You can also directly edit /etc/pluto.conf and change AutostartMedia to 0. This will also work in 0810 Alpha.

silverarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:00:38 pm »
Thank guys. But it means that all the extras that are not needed for a core are present in the hard-drive. So turning off the media director makes it a dedicated core while turning it on makes it a hybrid?

Rgds

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:16:55 pm »
Yes. The difference between a core and a hybrid is the running of the media director on the hybrid. Also, you do not need to run any X on a core only, afaik.

silverarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:58:50 am »
Great!

Thanks a mil guys. I am having a couple of issues with installation on the eServer, namely no sound, poor video from the WinTv 150 Card.

Firstly, the internal audio is based on an Intel 82801DB-ICH4 chip. I have tried somethings mentioned in earlier posts for similar chips, such as disabling audio options in BIOS, checking the ALSA drivers and so on, but nothing seems to work.

Secondly, I am using a HD Cable Set Up box, which I am inputting to my Hauppage Win TV 150 card through the composite input. The picture quality is not so spectacular - I am not sure if one of the higher end cards would have done a better job but these days its become difficult to get these series of cards here in Singapore.

Rgds