Author Topic: Pluto -- MythTV integration...  (Read 4437 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto -- MythTV integration...
« on: April 08, 2006, 12:46:53 am »
Hello,
  Are you working on either a custom mythtv-frontend or a new theme for the present frontend that would more closely match your orbiter themes?  Or, a new orbiter theme that would match the myth theme?  

I actually would almost prefer the orbiter theme idea.  Is it possible?  Provided things stay consistant across orbiters...

I think that using Myth for your backend is a good idea.  I also think that you could
possibly use more of the myth addons, like myth-game, myth-weather, and myth-video..  I don't see why you have to reinvent things, like your video and audio stuff, when if you could have found a way to more closely integrate into the myth stuff...  Granted I'm coming into this fairly late in the game, and I'm sure you had good reasons, not just the desire to "own" the source.

Bill

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:44:09 am »
the estethics were not such a big issue at one time, but now i agree that we need to take care of this things, we were more preocupied of functionality and less how it looks.

we choose xine for videos, movies and music since that was considered a stable solution. for TV we use Myth.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:28:34 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
the estethics were not such a big issue at one time, but now i agree that we need to take care of this things, we were more preocupied of functionality and less how it looks.

we choose xine for videos, movies and music since that was considered a stable solution. for TV we use Myth.

I agree on that choice. But since we have mythfrontend functional, we're only half step away of using some mythplugiuns that would be really handy - like
mythgallery (photo viewing app) or
Mythphone (Video SIP softphone) or
mythweather (weather forecast viewing) or
mythnews (RSS viewer).

If we integrate Mythtv graphically with Pluto, then those plugins will also look alike.... For now just possibility of adding shortcuts from buttons in main menu would suffice. Just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:14:27 am »
I know I'm just tossing in my unsolicited two cents here, but I would like to reiterate the sentiment that I have seen on the forum about Myth plugins. I used MythTV (and KnoppMyth) for about a year before experimenting with Pluto and the one thing I can not get over is not having the plugins - namely MythGame, MythWeather, and MythWeb (the Myth photo plugin should work well for Pluto's photo gallery problem also). MythVideo isn't really necessary with Pluto because the system already supports distributed video, but for a year I controlled recordings for MythTV through the web interface and played games via my two wireless joysticks through MythGame. I have rigged something up through the computing section to play some games, but it does not work with the remote and is clumsy for the not-so-technical members of my family to use; whereas the Myth plugins are intuitive and easy to control. Now, with the jump commands implemented in Myth, it should be possible to allow buttons on the main screen for any Myth plugins that are installed.

I just wanted to bring this topic up again to remind the good folks at Pluto that there are faithful Pluto users out there who would love to see the Myth plugins brought under the Pluto umbrella. Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 05:54:50 pm »
Quote from: "syphr42"
I know I'm just tossing in my unsolicited two cents here, but I would like to reiterate the sentiment that I have seen on the forum about Myth plugins. I used MythTV (and KnoppMyth) for about a year before experimenting with Pluto and the one thing I can not get over is not having the plugins - namely MythGame, MythWeather, and MythWeb (the Myth photo plugin should work well for Pluto's photo gallery problem also). MythVideo isn't really necessary with Pluto because the system already supports distributed video, but for a year I controlled recordings for MythTV through the web interface and played games via my two wireless joysticks through MythGame. I have rigged something up through the computing section to play some games, but it does not work with the remote and is clumsy for the not-so-technical members of my family to use; whereas the Myth plugins are intuitive and easy to control. Now, with the jump commands implemented in Myth, it should be possible to allow buttons on the main screen for any Myth plugins that are installed.

I just wanted to bring this topic up again to remind the good folks at Pluto that there are faithful Pluto users out there who would love to see the Myth plugins brought under the Pluto umbrella. Thanks.

I couldn't agree more. I'm also using mythplugins under Pluto also, but do have to compile them manually and hide them among other external applications. It would be fine to integrate it more tightly in Orbiters...

REgards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:26:36 pm »
Quote from: "syphr42"
MythVideo isn't really necessary with Pluto because the system already supports distributed video

Am I correct that Pluto's approach about distribued video is via their Media Directors or what we call another pc in every room? But what if you also want to distribute HD source from let say, Comcast High Definition set top box? How does this STB gets hooked to the Core? It would have been possible in my case if the traffic I was getting from firewire out wasn't 5C or encrypted. I can live with LiveTV from mythtv but I can't since it's encrypted. So, like AutoPatch 1YDM equipment where it allows a a video source to be distributed to 1 or more rooms at the same time via Component(YPbPr) cable. Please let me know if it's possible.

Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:27:50 pm »
If you want HD, look at getting an HD capture card (or several) in the core, like the HD-5500 from http://www.pchdtv.com/ and then you can configure it in MythTV and have it distributed through the Media Directors (which are PCs, as you thought).