Author Topic: Fiire Chief: some info  (Read 3549 times)

falcorn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Fiire Chief: some info
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
I have a server pc with linuxmce. if i buy a thin client and connect it in my LAN behind a LCD TV, i can use Fiire Chief remote control without anything else? or do i need something to connect to it in IR or RF mode? many thanks
i simply need to know if it is possible to control some thin client and the server with the same remote control without USB-UIRT or something like this.
many thanks

falcorn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire Chief: some info
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:08 pm »
ok i can reply myself......the wiki is all i need to do anything else
Code: [Select]
The Fiire Chief remote does work... 100% of the time (or pretty close to 100%). Just add a Fiire dongle to all your MD's...
then press 'follow-me' on the remote before you leave a room (to tell the system when you want pickup from in your media playback)
then walk to the other room and press 'follow-me' again and the Media will pickup from the point where you pressed 'follow-me' in the
previous room. This works so well you have to see it to understand how impressive it is... because it is damn impressive!

i have to install a fiire usb dongle for all my Linuxmce pc for the "follow me" function.
if i want to use a single fiire chief for all my pc's without "follow me" function do i need usb dongles or not? if not how this remote control can understand wich pc i want to use when i press "connect" button?
When i can buy fiire products?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:03:20 pm by falcorn »

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:21:13 pm »
Hi falcorn!

Fiire chief isn't produced any more... Surely you can buy it still on some ebay or similar sites...

Thom is currently working on a (new) Gyration solution, so, if you do not need that "gyro" solution straight away, keep in touch and follow the development... I'm personally also in that position (use the universal IR remote)...

hope mine opinion helps a bit...
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:15:40 am »
falcorn

To answer your question .. the dongle has nothing specific to do with Follow Me. It is just the wireless receiver for the remote control. You need a dongle for each MD you want to use the remote with ... when these were still being sold, you got one with the remote, and could order any number of additional ones, per your requirements. You just plug them into a USB port on each MD and they are pnp installed and configured - no further action was required.

On the remote, you hit Connect - this causes the remote to go out and determine which dongle has the strongest RF signal and bind to that. The assumption being that this will likely be the MD you are nearest too. The Follow Me button does much the same thing, but also "bookmarks" the media playing in the room you are in, then the second time you press it, in another room, it issues a DCE command that causes the media playing (and environment) for the user the remote is registered to, to be transferred from the old room to the new room. That is the main functional difference between the Gryration and Fiire remotes.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:19:45 am »
the firmware is also changed to transmit a unique id for each chiief.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

falcorn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:57:55 am »
ok now it's clear......i don't need fiire chief exactly but i can wait for thom development for this "new" gyration remote solution. I hope this new solution can manage the "follow me" function. It's interesting and beautiful this function. i'll wait for news. many thanks to all

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »
It won't. Ever. Don't ask.

-Thom

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:55:43 pm »
Thom

may I ask you which kind of gyro hw are you working on?
Is it kind of specific or generic hw?

Thanks and regards
Marco

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:20:19 pm »
The dev efforts will be documented here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7917.0