Author Topic: N810...  (Read 4363 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
N810...
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:59:03 pm »
Just a heads up for anyone that may be considering one...

TigerDirect.com has the Nokia N810 Nseries Internet Table with Wi-Fi and GPS on sale for $224.99 + $1.99 S/H.

BTW, if you run the orbiter on that does it replace what's on it already, or can you switch between orbiter and whatever OS it comes with?

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: N810...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »
It's an app/program that you run.  It installs on top of the OS, not instead of the OS so you can close the orbiter if you so choose.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:17:47 pm »
It's an app/program that you run.  It installs on top of the OS, not instead of the OS so you can close the orbiter if you so choose.
Ah, cool.  If I wasn't pouring every available penny into finishing my basement (fully wired and ready for a real LMCE setup), that price would be really tempting.

I forgot to include a link in my first post:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3408772&sku=N529-1156&srkey=n810

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
Can anyone comment on the responsiveness of the orbiter running on the N810?

I'm running the orbiter on the N800 and it is painfully slow to respond.  Sometime it takes 10 seconds to skip down when browsing the media library.  In comparison, my windows xp laptop orbiter responds fast enough that I don't really notice the delay.

Responsiveness might be a consideration before jumping into the N810 orbiter.

Alex

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:50:49 am »
hi,

I've been using my N810 as an orbiter. All I can say is it's slightly faster. A few seconds less than 10s. WAF very low

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 04:59:15 am »
I just pulled mine out to check...  been using the dt366's almost exclusively.  Really only use the 810 on the porch.

I haven't had a MD with UI1 where I used the interface on the MD itself- I've defaulted to an orbiter, so I don't know how responsive a MD is to inputs, but I have been exceptionally impressed with the responsiveness of the win orbiter.  It seems that as soon as I release the mouse click the next page pops up and is populated right away (802.11g network).

The 810 is close to this- I would estimate 1/4 to 1/2 a second after touching the screen for the next page to display.  Selecting an artist adds another 1/4 second to the time (maybe 3/4 a second to display an artist's list of albums).  From the 810's home screen to a ready-to-use LinuxMCE UI1 screen takes about 12 seconds (using the second hand on my watch).  Some of this delay could be from the network- my nas is on my external network (ducks head waiting for "why do people keep doing this")

There is a button that I assume is supposed to have the same effect as alt+tab if you press it once, or the "show desktop" button if you hold it down.  This is a quick and easy way to get back to the OS's home screen.  Unfortunately, holding the button down or even just pressing it always results in the error  "LinuxMCE Orbiter is not responding.  Close application?"  

When starting the orbiter program there is a setup screen that you have to click through.  It is not intrusive, and is the same screen that you use to tell the 810 where your core is located (by IP) and what your orbiter id is.  I can't remember off hand, but I think you have to configure the orbiter in LinuxMCE ahead of time, the setup is not like that of a win orbiter or a 366.  It's not hard and only required the first time you connect the 810 to your setup.

I do not find the buttons too small to use with my pointer finger.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:01:08 am by jimmejames »

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:21:35 am »
The 810 is close to this- I would estimate 1/4 to 1/2 a second after touching the screen for the next page to display.  Selecting an artist adds another 1/4 second to the time (maybe 3/4 a second to display an artist's list of albums).  From the 810's home screen to a ready-to-use LinuxMCE UI1 screen takes about 12 seconds (using the second hand on my watch).  

That's way faster than what I am seeing with the N800.  I wonder why samuelmukoti's N810 is slower than jimmejames'.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:32 am »
The 810 is close to this- I would estimate 1/4 to 1/2 a second after touching the screen for the next page to display.  Selecting an artist adds another 1/4 second to the time (maybe 3/4 a second to display an artist's list of albums).  From the 810's home screen to a ready-to-use LinuxMCE UI1 screen takes about 12 seconds (using the second hand on my watch).  

That's way faster than what I am seeing with the N800.  I wonder why samuelmukoti's N810 is slower than jimmejames'.

Much faster than my n810 also. I have found anything over WiFi has a fair bit of lag (regardless of signal strength)...Ticking the Wi-Fi enabled device in the orbiter section helps a little but the lag still seems far more than it should be just because it is WiFi. WebDT is a little quicker but still slow when compared with the XP orbiter on Ethernet, especially for scrolling though Music/Video...

I seem to recall someone (maybe totallymaxed) mentioned that there is a bug in Wifi orbiters that exacerbates the lag...? Or maybe I just made that up  ???

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:26 am »

Our experience is in line with Jimmyjames on the N800/810 I have to say... and we have many of these in customer installations and we have no feedback that they are slow at all.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:19:55 pm »
I sort of hijacked this thread.  I've started another thread here just for the N800/N810 speed issue:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7952.0

I've posted my setup and some response times.  I would appreciate if you could compare your setup and performance to mine and post on the new thread.

Regards,
Alex