Author Topic: Linux MCE as NFS Samba server  (Read 1791 times)

chuy08

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Linux MCE as NFS Samba server
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:19:48 am »
Currently I have an RHEL 4 box that acts as my main file server in small home network.  This RHEL box is doing: Samba, nfs, dhcp, dns, mysql, and apache.  All of these services are offered by an install of LinuxMCE.

Has anyone out there ever used an install of LinuxMCE to act as a fileserver among other things, then serve up all media content when called upon as well.

Ultimately I would like to replace my file server with an mce server that can do both, that is serving files via nfs or samba for my workstations, and serve media to a remote orbiter should that be needed.  My network is small and rarely ever if at all would the server be hit for NFS shares at the same time as it's service MCE requests.  My initial testing would indicate this wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem but so far I only have a test MCE environment and am working out the kinks.

Any help appreciated.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE as NFS Samba server
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:43:23 am »
LinuxMCE acts as a central file server for both SMB and NFS out of the box.

Any shares or connected disks that the system finds connected to the core, to the network, or any media directors, will be found, and if you allow LMCE to use them, it will add them to the system, one share for each, as well as making symlinks into audio, video, documents, pictures, and other (for public only shares).

We provide NFS and SMB shares for the disks, and if you use LMCE file structure, you can keep the media separate on the disks from other files, while still being able to access the disks individually if wanted.

-Thom